"I hate to be the one to inform you that, yet again, your plan will fail."

Lady Jacqueline lifted a thread-thin, inky eyebrow. "Are you now? Sorry?"

"Some civilized beings still know how to be polite, even compassionate," Princess Adeline told her enemy. "You've lived so long in savage company, Lady Jacqueline, that you've no doubt forgotten such noble feelings."

Lady Jacqueline's eyes twinkled towards Adeline. The princess felt uncomfortable under that particular look. She felt as though the scheming criminal was inside her mind, flipping through the secret pages of her memory. Could Lady Jacqueline read an account of the young woman's every cruel word or deed? It almost felt as though the offender was turning Adeline's blue and white ballgown into shades of red as her every sin was brought to light.

"Oh, my dear little princess," her ladyship warned, "I can be compassionate. You soon shall see how sympathetically generous I can be."

I'd really rather not, Adeline thought to herself. She pulled her long gloves up tighter at her elbows and said,

"Lady Jacqueline, I have had enough of this conversation. I will not hear anymore. I know what you intend for Fairy Tale, and I will not let you begin your revolution in Once-upon-a Time. I cannot let you harm my people. I have a duty and a promise to uphold and I will uphold it, even to my death. Now, I am giving you a chance to leave peacefully, but if you persist in this insanity I will call the guards and let them lay strong hands upon you. That is my final word."

Lady Jacqueline clapped her hands together to applaud the princess' fine performance. Adeline frowned and looked up to the ceiling.

"Very well said, my dear girl. Such fine oratory skills. I do believe every word, truly. I know you are not like the former princess of what is now Dark and Stormy. You deny yourself every selfish whim so you can fully attend to your people's needs. I have no doubt you would give up your very youth and beauty, if it meant saving them from ruination."

Lady Jacqueline paused. "What a shame all your sacrificial labouring goes unrewarded."

Princess Adeline's eyes grew to dry, panicked pearls. She felt her nostrils flare and her tongue glue itself to the roof of her mouth. She grabbed her puffy skirt and spat out, "Enough!"

Princess Adeline jolted to the door, clutching the golden knob as if it could transport her from this distressing scene. With strength not natural to her petite frame, Adeline tore the door open. The wind of the wood moving so fast caused loose hairs to swing across her forehead and eyes. Just as one of her glass-heeled slippers crossed the threshold of the room, Lady Jacqueline said,

"He fell in love with the handmaiden, didn't he?"

Princess Adeline felt a brick wall of cold reality hit her in the face. She was frozen as her brain exploded in a red fire of hate and sorrow. Flags of alarm rushed across her decision-making mechanisms. Her grip on the doorknob slackened, her silky gloved fingers slipping from its golden surface. She had to momentarily remind herself to breathe. She wanted to leave and yet she felt shackled to the room by an iron chain. She deeply desired to resist it, but the invisible chain was pulling her ankles back into the room to face her nemesis.

Princess Adeline hated to look Lady Jacqueline in the eye once more, but as she knew she must, she decided she would pour all her disgust into that look.

"What did you say?" Adeline asked, stressing every word.

Lady Jacqueline did not smile devilishly. In her serpentlike sneakiness, she chose to show an outward sincerity. Her white, luminous skin softened, every wrinkle relaxing. To all appearances, it looked like Lady Jacqueline was actually sorry for the poor princess.