Chapter 6: You can trust me

-Later, at Donna's apartment-

-Tessie's POV-

Her apartment was nice, cozy but elegant. She had 3 bedrooms, one of them was a closet. I wasn't jealous, I just always dreamed of this I'd never seen it in real life.
She gave me the tour, I changed out of my clothes and I took a shower. I felt faint and I was scared that I would. I felt a pain in my chest and I heard a ringing in my ears, this wasn't a panic attack , and it wasn't the first time. I got out of the shower, soap still on my body. I sat on the floor and waited for it to go away, I waited and waited and nothing. I popped another white pill into my mouth and ten minutes later I started to feel better.
I heard a knocking on the door.

-"You ok in there? The water's been off for a while."

-"Yup just styling my hair Donna, sorry!"

-"No worries, take your time."

Oh God I hope she doesn't find out. Donna, she's observant and resourceful, I'm praying she doesn't find out about anything.
I can't even wash the soap off, I get up quickly style my curls, wear my clothes and get out.

-"It makes sense how it takes so long to style your hair, it's gorgeous. Does your mom have curly hair?"

-"Yeah, she's got big, black curls. Her eyes are blue so mine kinda look like a dirty version of hers."

-"I don't mean this in the way you think but you really don't look like Harvey."

-"I know, that's why it was a little hard for me to believe at first but...I have proof"

-"The way you said that makes it seem like you can't tell me."

-"I can't but you must know Harvey's face well. We have something in common, do you see it?"

She closely examines my face with focus. Finally she smiles.
-"The moles... You've got his moles. And maybe his hair colour as well, yours is a little darker but definitely not black. I need to see you guys next to each other."

I smile but it quickly turns into a frown.
-"He doesn't like me, I scared him off."

-"Harvey is an amazing man and trust me he is the most kindhearted person I know besides Mike. He doesn't like you, he loves you. He just needs some time."

-"Mike...Who's Mike."

-"He's Harvey's best friend, he reminds me a lot of you."

-"Must be a very handsome smart aleck then."

She giggles
-"Don't flatter yourself, Mike would never travel to another country without a cellphone."

-"Ah got me there."

-"I didn't get to ask, did he hurt you? If he did we got a solid case."

-"Donna, we can't do this. There is paperwork that my mom has to sign, she can't even know that I'm here."

-"You have to tell me about what's going on with your mom. I can't help you if you don't."

My eyes begin to fill with tears
-"I did get help Donna, I fled the country. What more could I do?"

-"...Why don't we put her behind bars?"

-"Donna...she's my mom. She's an awful person but..."
I tried to defend her I really did but nothing came to mind. I couldn't think of one good thing she's done for me.

-"I'm going to be honest with you, I found some stuff on her... I know what happened when you were 3 years old..."

-"I thought I could trust you? You went behind my back, that was the one thing I asked you not to do...you told me I could trust you-"

-"What she did was horrifying, why are you trying to cover this up?"

-"You think that's the worst of it? I would've been better off if she were successful."

-"She tried to kill you! How bad is she?"

-"I had to come here Donna. No money, no phone, no personal belongings. Just some clothes and a plane ticket that cost me years of savings. I worked my first job when I was 13 because I had no other choice, that's when I started saving."
I couldn't help myself I sat down and wiped my tears as they fell.

-"I have to tell Harvey about this."

-"I don't know him Donna but he must've known how crazy she was too, he wouldn't be surprised. Don't betray my trust again...please."

She looked down and shook her head in disappointment
-"I need to know all of the things she did."

-"Donna! Leave it alone already! I told you, you don't want to know."

-"I'm sorry, but she can't get away with this.

-"Thank you for letting me stay here Donna, but I have to go. I don't think I can stay with you anymore."