"If we can... the cube... maybe... but then..." the voice of one of the doctors cut in and out.

Something about some guy not approving.

Zola finally noticed you were awake.

"Quiet!" he snapped. "She's listening. Put her under again."

‐-------------------------

A blue light. Glowing with magnificent power. And some of that power being transferred into her. The power draining from the glowing blue cube soon replenished. Blue energy circled around both you and it, and you swear that you saw a small gem inside the cube.

‐-------------------------

"Ready to comply."

"This is what will happen to you," an officer said to a man in chains as he looked at you, astonished and fearful. He began to resist until the officer ordered you to put him in the chair you just vacated. You complied, dragging and restraining him.

"Wait... you know me. You called me Zima, remember?"

No response as you tossed the mouthpiece to the officer and walked out of the cell, through the bars, not sparing him a glance.

Oh, by the way, you could teleport and move through objects. Perks of the space stone.

‐-------------------------

They call you Shadow due to your ability to cling to the dark parts of the room and always go unnoticed. You were a spy, sneaking into places HYDRA ordered you to go and stealing information. On the base, you mastered ballet, combat training, and weapon wielding. You only needed to be wiped once. You mastered scientific equations and theories to the level of the Starks, having been in their stupid tower and back a few times. All of them with a USB drive.

Your latest jobs were not stealth, but education. You were Junior Assistant to the ballet instructor, slightly beating your friend Natasha. But some friend she was, aborting her mission and leaving HYDRA.

She trained the Winter Soldier, sparring with him. She accompanied him on nearly all his missions, but stayed in the shadows and watched. He never needed any help... until his fight with Captain America on one of the helicarriers. All three were shooting each other down for some reason, but he had never abandoned his mission.

"His goal is to replace the chip in this carrier," she had given him a tip watching them fight. He had nodded immediately, understanding what she meant, moving upwards to block the Captain's way, who had taken no notice of you, his attention focused entirely on the Soldier. Bucky, he called him. You wondered if they knew each other before he was captured. She tapped him awake and handed him another gun when the Captain was headed toward the replacement site. Three bullets hit him and "Bucky" moved to follow him. He eventually gained the upper hand after the idiotic target let his shield drop into the waters below. They both staggered around for a bit, and the Soldier hesitated before the final blow that would complete the mission. He never delivered the blow, a nearby explosion causing the target to drop into the water below.

When the helicarrier began to sink, she had teleported them both to a shore, where she had let him drag the target out of the water.

"Dead," he reported.

When they got back to base, she had submitted to experimentation with another blue stone by Strücker. You conversed a bit with the girl before her, Wanda Maximoff. A volunteer after her parents were killed in a Sokovian Civil War. She felt slightly bad for the girl, and went in with her.

"Wanda Maximoff. Volunteer."

"...Shadow. Volunteer...?" The last part sounded like a question,, and Wanda turned to you questioningly. You had decided to go with your code name. You don't think you ever knew your real name, all your memories were wiped. But the effects were wearing off now. Were you considered a volunteer? You did this under orders, but what else could you say?

The instructions were to touch the stone. Wanda went first. The stone flew out of the containment scepter and hovered in front of her. She slowly reached out and touched it, the blue shell exploding, revealing yellow light. You reached out to Wanda, intending to pull her back from the inevitable danger. You touched her shoulder, and everything went black.

‐-------------------------

You found yourself in a cage-like prison, magically enforced. You couldn't teleport or walk through it. Wanda was next to you, moving wooden cubes around with a misty red... telekinesis? Her twin brother, you assumed, was darting around in pain in the cage on her other side. You could guess that he had too much energy in his body, so he was trying to burn it out as it caused him pain. You turn your gaze back to Wanda as she makes the cubes collide into each other.

As per Strücker's orders, you joined them. In another attempt to teleport away or walk through the bars, your form flickered, causing immense pain, spread through every fiber and cell of your being. Multiple versions of yourself flickered before returning to you. (Similar to Ghost from Ant-Man and the Wasp.) Not doing that again.

You had been connected to the stone Wanda touched for a moment. If she had gained telekinetic and telepathic abilities, then maybe...

You reached out with your mind to the nearest guard.

Open my cell, you commanded jokingly.

For a moment he didn't budge. Then he stiffly walked toward a ring of keys and got one, putting it in the lock on her door. Was it really working...?

Strücker noticed and quickly moved to the guard and hit him in the head, knocking him out.

You decided not to show any other abilities you may have acquired. You didn't want to hurt anyone else. You practiced them privately, when you were sure nobody else was around.

One day, a new person walked in. Rumlowe. Double agent operating in SHIELD for HYDRA. He had noticed you near a corner of a meeting room when you had been careless on a mission. He whispered something to Strücker. Something about the Winter Soldier... fighting new experiments then escaping?

You looked into his mind. The Winter Soldier, Zima, you remembered, fighting about four people at once. They were super soldiers, with a more advanced serum. But it looked defective, as they turned their attention from him to the HYDRA guards. You remembered teasing him at one point, calling him Zima during a sparring practice, not knowing his real name. Apparently you used to call him that. It just popped in your head, but it seemed to have an affect on him. He shook his head and from then on, he called you Shadow and you called him Zima. "Winter Soldier" was too long of a name to say in a rush, after all.

Strücker gestured to the twins, telling the guards to release them for a bit. They did so, and as alarms blared, the twins shared a hushed conversation before the brother - Pietro, you learned - picked up Wanda and left. You were pretty sure they weren't supposed to...

Oh, well. With the base in a panic, you did what you were trained to do: stick to the shadows. You used a new power, one you discovered a few days ago. You could create liquid metal and shape it into anything you wanted. You let a small stream of the mercury-like liquid metal slither up the bars and coagulate in the keyhole. Filling in all the spaces inside, you hardened it and turned. The cell was now unlocked. The room was practically deserted now, and a loud clanging sound made it through the building. You had heard something about Avengers and Stark in the Maximoffs' conversation. Perhaps this was them causing the chaos?

You didn't care. You were free. Free from this prison... and, as of yesterday, free of HYDRA's control. The memory wiping effects had officially worn off, but you couldn't get your memory back. You hesitated and looked around for the book. Strücker had to have it here somewhere. Your command words. You had to erase it. Fire lit up from your hand, fueled by the thought and illuminating the room. You soon found the book under a pile of papers. You knew exactly what to do. Thoroughly burning the book, you let it drop in a sink of water, ruining any ink left. You then tossed it out the window, extinguishing your flame. The snow would bury it.

With a loud crashing sound, a humanoid metal robot came into the room.