Chapter 4: A Close Friend

Last time Lorem's little sister Merii stopped by for a visit and Jin received a phone call from an old acquaintance of his. Jin and Merii got acquainted with one another, but there is another human friend of Lorem's is stopping in for a visit.

Jin was currently outside underneath his truck as he was currently working on it with slight irritation. "Goddammit! If this truck wasn't so reliable, I would just send it to the dump!" Jin said in frustration to himself as he continued to work on his mode of transportation in aggravated silence. While he continued his work, Jin let his mind wonder to the conversation he had on the phone with Geist yesterday. "Damn Geist, I should've known he would keep tabs on me after I up and left the D.P.T.F." Jin thought to himself as he swapped out the tools he was using as he was still lost in his own thoughts.
Jin's thoughts were interrupted by a gentle knock on the front of the truck as he rolls the wheel bed he was on out from under the truck to see a girl with short brown hair and brown eyes staring at him.

"Oh, hey Chiharu. Lorem is inside, fair warning her sister is visiting and might give you the stink eye at first." Jin said as he gave the nineteen year old girl who returned his smile. "I'll keep that in mind, that truck still giving you trouble? Why don't you just buy a new one?" Chiharu asked as Jin rolled his eyes at her words. "Say what you will about my truck, it may be a hunk of junk, but it's reliable!" Jin fires back which only causes Chiharu to laugh at his statement.
The conversation was interrupted by Jin's cellphone ringing. Jin looked down as he bit back a groan at the caller ID displayed on the screen. "Why don't you head in to talk with Lorem and Merii? I've got another possible job offer." Jin said as Chiharu nodded before entering the house as Jin answered the phone. "What do you want Geist? It's only been a day and your already back to pressure me into joining back up?!" Jin said in controlled anger as he didn't want to draw the attention of the people in the house. "Come now Specter, I'm not here to pester you. I just wanted to let you know that I have a job at a bar in the city. I was wondering if you'd like to help me with it?" Geist said as Jin once again but back a rather snarky remark.
"What makes you think I want to help you? I left the platoon to live a normal life, what part of that do you not understand?!" Jin said as he let more of his frustration slip into his voice. "Now, now don't be like that! Besides you and I both know what type of job this is." Geist said as his general calm tone was replaced with a deadly serious one. Jin cursed under his breath as he knew that as much as he didn't want back into that lifestyle, people would get hurt id he didn't. "Fine I'm in, are Prizrak and Exspiravit going to be there?" Jin asked as Geist chuckled.
               "No, our other two platoon members are taking care of their own mission at the moment." Geist said as Jin let out a relieved sigh at his words. "Good, I don't know if I could handle a couple hours with Prizrak, that guy is way to high energy for my liking." Jin grumbled as he heard Geist laugh once again at his words. "Yes well you have to commend his enthusiasm to his work, even if it is a bit....destructive." Geist said as he tried to put the term lightly, which caused Jin to snort at his words. "Yeah that's one way of putting it I suppose. I pity Exspiravit, poor girl is probably pulling her hair out while working with that nutcase." Jin said as he could only imagine what they were up to.
              Geist let out another chuckle at his words before deciding to wrap the conversation up. "Yes we'll meet me on the outskirts of the city Friday night. Our mission is to infiltrate the bar's secret basement. By the way you might want to look through the Annihilating Inferno's belongings, there's something rather dangerous she is forgetting about." Geist said as he hung up before Jin could even question what he was talking about. Jin looked down at the screen of his phone before letting out a sigh of mild frustration. "I suppose I better check on what Geist was talking about at least." Jin said before pocketing his phone and entering the house to investigate.
Jin walked into the house to see Chiharu and Merii talking happily while Lorem played with Gospel. "Who was on the phone?" Chiharu asked as she gave Jin a curious look. "The owner of some bar, has a big party Friday night and needs someone to clean the place while it's going on." Jin said as he wasn't completely lying, he did have a job at the bar, just not the kind he usually has. "Sounds like your kind of place, full of loud and drunk people." Lorem said sarcastically as she gave Jin a devious smile. "Oh so you finally picked up on sarcasm, good I was hoping it would rub off on you eventually." Jin said as Lorem playfully stuck her tongue out at him in a teasing way.
             "Anyway, I'm going to check the attic, I think I may have left a few tools up there that I couldn't fit in the garage, they might help fix the truck." Jin said as he walked past the three girls before making his way to the part of the hallway that had the attic door on the ceiling. Jin pulled the door open as the ladder dropped down and he proceeded to climb up into the dark storage area. Jin turned on the light as he began rummaging through boxes in search of the one he used to package some of Lorem's less important belongings. Jin found the box as he pulled out a pocket knife and cut open the tape sealing the box.
              Jin was about to open up the box when he heard a rustling from behind him, Jin readied his pocket knife before whipping around and throwing it. A pained squeak was heard as Jin saw that he had in fact caught a rat.