Breathless Knight

Start from the beginning

Nicola: That just means I have to train and get stronger.

His voice was now picking up again, and anyone watching could picture him going from brooding to the picture this memory painted with the models.

Nicola: I have to be able to protect you someday!

And just like that, the warm sunlight turned to a pitch black scenery. The only illumination now were floating lamps that suddenly appeared from the void. With their vision back the spectators spot the new landscape: a rocky ground once again filled with the familiar post-apocalyptic black thorns.

Nicola's statue laid in a bed. To his right was a man wearing a lab coat, kneeling and staring at the boy.

Nicola: Where... am I?

Confusion and fear creeping into his being, Nicola asked to no one in particular.

Researcher: You're a very lucky young man. You've been reborn.

[Note: how in hell is this supposed to answer the question?]

Immediately after hearing these words, Nicola's tone shifts to much more fear and worry than confusion, though all are still very apparent with his apprehension. He only had one thing in his mind.

Nicola: Wh-where's Mia?

Researcher: Now, now. There's no need to worry. We can bring her back too.

Before anyone could hear the reaction of an undying child hearing about his sister's death, the statues crumble and all lights die out, leaving only floating voices to fill in the void of the spectators' collective consciousness.

Researcher 1: Look at these test results. Nicola does have successor potential.

Researcher 2: But his numbers are barely passing. With them being this close to the limit...

Researcher 1: True. If he decides to do it, the rest will depend on him.

And the white light that ferries all watchers back to their bodies comes. But before they leave a last voice fills the pure white space.

Nicola: It depends on me...

As they come back and regain feeling of their bodies, the revenants and humans barely have any time as Mia heads inside the crypt. She's not rushing at all, she's just on a brisk walk that outpaces the other slowpokes with her.

Luca: Mia, hold on...

With a series of small protests the other revenants follow suit, with the exception of Io who seems distracted by her doppelganger. (Y/N) was also hanging back, going back and forth between watching the main group confront the successor and Io as she seems to try and communicate with the other her.

That is until something strange, or at least stranger than usual happens in the crypt. Though the howling wind makes it so he can't hear them at this distance, he only needs to see as from a small whirlwind a hatless Nicola suddenly appears. It was just like when they had found the second vestige.

The apparition jumps on the armored successor, and is quickly shrugged off and disappears into snow as it hits the ground. The entire party flinches and (Y/N) knows what he wants to do now, even if it's not the safest idea.

(Y/N): Io, they're starting!

Giving the distracted woman a weak tug at the edge of her tattered dress and motioning her to come and help too, the two of them join in as Nicola and his shadow clones swarm the successor.

The Nicolas hold onto all parts of the fallen knight, his giant and oddly shaped armor, the serrated shield on the side, the helmet where two moose antlers were found (one disproportionately bigger than the other) and two sets of glowing yellow eyes laid. With one hard twitch the successor dislodges all of the Nicolas, and stares down the group that is now trespassing on his private property.