Breathless Knight

Start from the beginning

Trust me.

They find a mistle inside a frozen cave, unbeknownst to them it would be the last mistle before their final fight in the Ridge of Frozen Souls. But that's not a problem since thanks to their experience, they know that every opportunity to rest should be used to the fullest and shouldn't count on ever getting another resting spot.

Taking this opportunity to check all of their items and equipment, making sure they don't need to go back for any repairs or resupplies. Drinking from their beads (and water bottle) to stave off some fatigue and mentally preparing themselves for the area to come, whatever is in there.

Stepping out of the cave, sunlight gently reflecting from the snow and ice they once again take in the scenery. Large ice spires adorn one side of the path as they find themselves on the other side of the chasm, this was the entrance to the crypt where the next successor, presumably Nicola, faced their own frenzy.

And just like last time, someone was waiting for them at the entrance. A carbon copy of Io, who spoke exactly like Leda, the previous clone, as if reading from a script. She addresses Luca and no one else.

Not Io 2: I've been waiting for you...

(Y/N): Man... another one.

Louis: They must be watching over the successors, so that means there are many others.

Not Io 2: Please, spin a thread of memory for me.

It only takes a single moment of distraction, but once the group focuses back on the strange woman and Luca they realize she went ahead and was starting to restore the vestiges she collected.

And so begins a rewind of some key memories from Nicola's life...

It was a park, the lush greenery and trees shaking gently on the breeze and no thorns as far as the eyes could see. This was before the collapse, possibly some of the fondest memories any revenants have.

Woman: Nicola...

Two stone statues form in the middle of a clearing, one a small child holding a long stick and the other an older looking girl, holding a slightly longer stick. The hats they were wearing gave away who those were, if the voices hadn't already.

Mia: What are you doing?

The sister asks, with a tinge of curiosity in her voice.

Nicola: Practicing swordsmanship!

Answered the brother, as excited as any child who wants to fulfil their first dream. The budding swordsman's dream was a rather outdated one, but still absolutely precious.

Nicola: I want to be a knight someday!

Mia: Really? That sounds like fun. But you can't practice alone, so how about a match?

Nicola: Really? Don't go too hard on me, Mia.

Nicola tried to have a serious tone, almost as if he meant what he said, but his excitement still overflowed from his stance and voice. As those statues crumble, two others take their place in different positions.

Nicola was standing as tall as he could, his arms raised to the sky. Mia was crouching in front of him, her hands resting on her knees for support.

Nicola: You had to come and save me again...

His voice was small, and he was surely upset for some reason despite how the statue looked.

Mia: Don't worry about it. That's what family is for right?