The Significance of a Golden Feather

Tommy was never one to allow his feathers to get dirty. He would clean, preen, and go through strenuous lengths to ensure the cleanliness of his wings. His family found it all rather amusing, the usually dirty and muddy Tommy prioritizing being clean. Phil couldn't help the giddy smile on his face when the youngest asked for help.

When the blond was young, he'd give each of his family members- flock, his brain supplied, as not all of his family is blood related -one of his preened feathers. It would always be one of his golden down feathers, soft and delicate to the touch.

Techno was the first to receive a feather, a treasure to Tommy. The piglin was always known for his strength in battle and his mastery of the sword, but it was actually his ability to comfort that got him the gift. It was the night of the reveal, long after Tommy was reunited with his brothers and father and the promise of a better future. Tommy appreciated what his oldest brother had said that night and gave Techno the first of many feathers.

The piglin hybrid would stash it away behind his ear, keeping it safe by removing it at night and replacing it later upon waking. It was one of the possessions that he would cherish.

The second was Phil, Tommy's dad and one of the few people the boy trusted with his wings. His dad was so unbelievably happy to have been given the sentimental object. He would tuck the glimmering gold between his ash gray plumage, a stark contrast but Phil loved it that way.

The third was Wilbur, who both was the next to get a feather and the one of two trusted by Tommy to help preen his wings. He had been given the gold after Tommy came to him during a night plagued with nightmares. The morning came, Tommy would slip into the older's room and present the small down feather. Wil took it with a swell to his heart and attached it to his guitar with tape, right on the bottom next to a whale sticker.

Eventually even Tubbo got one, the last and final member of his family. The two boys were already close as-is, conjoined to the hip as Phil would tease. They had been exploring a nearby flower field, Tommy stretching his wings and Tubbo playing with the flowers and bees. Tubbo would run after the younger as he soared through the sky, happily giggling as they went. As the sun reached a lower height and the boys sat in the heavenly glow of the yellow sun, Tommy plucked a soon-to-be loose down feather and gave it to the other off-handedly. Tubbo would go on to keep the feather in his chest pocket, close to his heart and always in near.

Now his family wasn't the only ones to be a part of his flock, there were plenty of others to follow.

At the beginning of Dream SMP, the famous group of three had grown close to the young Tommy. So close that they had eventually gained their own place in his friend-family. Sapnap was the first to get a feather, boasting and flaunting the shimmering object placed under his bandana. Dream was the next, keeping the feather tied to a string on the end of his axe. George only received one as a customary thing, Tommy felt bad if he didn't get one and the other two did. The short man kept it only because the others peer pressured him to, so he would often leave it on his window sill at his home.

George was never really a part of his flock, so his betrayal wasn't nearly as painful.

When the battle of L'manburg started, no one took it too seriously. The Dream Team kept their feathers close and only teased the small "rebellious" group. But, as the fighting grew to bloodshed and the words grew to a more vicious intent, the feathers were forgotten. They, just like L'manburg, were blown to pieces by TNT fire and consumed to ash.

It was like an open wound to Tommy, who cherished his golden down just as much as his life. His would later cry, in solitude, at the loss of flock-members; not to death, but to betrayal.