Chapter 2: Missing

It was peacefully quiet.

That was a bad sign. It was happening again. A chill ran down her spine. She hugged her knees tighter as she sat on her bed. Her body rocked back and forth, staring in the distance in a trance-like stupor. It was happening again. She nodded. But something was different this time. Her eyes squinted as if struggling to see through the darkness. She had to find him. Soon.

Aisha Nia was in her mid-twenties but had an intelligent countenance that made her look much older. She had an average height, slender body and soft facial features. Her ebony-black hair was short with thick coils. She had a subtle beauty complemented by her soft brown eyes, flawless skin and occasional awkward smile.

She stopped rocking herself. Her eyes dropped. There was one question that kept ringing in her head.

***

"Where is he?"

Mrs. Josephs was a stern woman. The forty-something woman was the general manager who had only one motto: 'Get it done or go home.' Her nagging tendency earned her the nickname Nagatha Christie. She had a pudgy body and wore a pair of unflattering large-rimmed spectacles.

"He's still not picking up."

Paul Mwakai had a wiry build. He had shuttered eyes which kept darting outside her office through the half-open door. Outside, the rest of the Starpix's open-plan office hummed with activity. People were on phone, behind their computers or chatting among themselves. He focussed on the oval-shaped figure of Yara Eidi seated in her cubicle, studying her computer. She swivelled round almost instinctively, catching his stare. Her large locks drooped forward as she gave him a nod in approval. He turned back.

"Not good at all. That's two days in a row. We can't have that."

"Me and Yara wanted to pay him a visit this morning after the huddle. Something's not right."

"Something's not been right for a long time. And I'm afraid I'm going to have let him go."

"Wait... what?"

"He's made a fool of me and this company for the last time. And I'm not having that."

"You're letting go of Jaime? You can't do that!"

"I can't?" She looked up, irritated.

"He's the best investigative journalist we have... this country probably has. He's a two-time GJIN award winner for Christ's sake!"

"Don't take that tone with me! He's a has-been and has been for the past three months."

"But-"

"He comes in whenever he wants, late most times... missing deadlines... with no ounce of creativity or effort in his work and now he's failing to come in at all? Jaime is done here."

"He lost his-"

"Wife... Yes, he lost his wife in the car accident. And that's the only reason I've tolerated his attitude this long. I've tried cutting him some slack... I've tried talking to him but we all know he's not been the same since the accident. The Jaime Mungai we all once knew is long gone."

"Mrs. Josephs-"

"No! This is not up for discussion. I've made up my mind. I called you here to tell me what he was working on."

"Um... the Treasury Scandal."

"Ah yes, the 'Mint Shit' story. I want you to take the lead on this story. Let's have a review of the interviews for our four o'clock. You can work with Michael on this. I hope I'm making myself perfectly clear?"