ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

Start from the beginning

I hum at this short response and sit down at one of the empty tables of the Boar Hat Tavern. Honestly, I'm not that surprised that Meliodas has created a bizarre tavern such as this one. On top of that, he's managed to befriend a very large, green creature who I have come to learn is little Hawk's mother, and now uses her to carry the entire tavern to wherever he pleases. Trust Meliodas to come up with the weirdest ideas.

My eyes dart over to the third Princess of Liones who sits at the table beside Meliodas, smiling when my best friend begins to speak to her. So this is the newest reincarnation of Elizabeth.

Flashes of Liz in her last moments come to my mind.

Crimson red blood splattered everywhere, sombre blue eyes, screams, Meliodas crying.

My fault.

I abruptly stand on my feet with my hands on the table, pushing the wooden chair back, and everyone immediately looks over at me, their worried and concerned stares attacking me.

Anywhere, anywhere but here. I shouldn't be here.

"Miss (Y/n)?" the Serpent Sin of Envy gently calls out to me.

I try to smile. "Nothing to worry about. I've simply forgotten something back at my hut."

Meliodas frowns. "We can turn back if you want—"

"No," I say so sharply that everyone except for my best friend flinches. "There is no need for that. It will only take me a couple of minutes."

With that, I shoot a comforting smile at the whole group and snap my fingers, my magic quickly pulling me back to my hut. The moment I reach my home, I grasp onto one of the wooden chairs as shaky breaths leave my slightly agape mouth.

Elizabeth's face is so much like Liz's. That bright smile, those beautiful blue eyes. Of course it is, but—

I very slowly rub a hand over my tired face before sitting myself down on the wooden chair and slumping against it, the top wooden rail digging into my shoulder blades slightly.

Sixteen years ago I failed Liz. Not only her but Meliodas as well. It could happen again. What if I were to lose control again? What if I were to fail both of them again?

Suddenly, there is a familiar, soft pulling of magic, something quietly calling out to me. 

I scowl at the persistent tug but I get up and head towards my bedroom, opening the cupboard that has not been touched for the past sixteen years. Growling, I try very hard not to obliterate what's in front of me; the same armour I wore during the Holy War over 3,000 years ago as I fought by my best friend's side, a reminder of my gory past and terrible mistakes.

Reluctantly, I pull my armour out. Or more like yank it out. I swiftly take off my current clothes and start to put on my old armour, its magic and power wrapping around me like a blanket; it knows exactly what to do, it always has.

Once in front of the mirror, I can't help but stare at my worn-out reflection. My (y/h/c) hair blends nicely with my (y/s/c) skin and (y/e/c) eyes, however, these features cannot hide the awful scars I have gained both physically and mentally.

Then focusing on my magic, I allow it to physically disguise me once again, to hide away the real me. But I have to do this. I am always running away, always hiding. Perhaps I should—

My head snaps up when I feel a sudden fire erupt within me.

The Ten Commandments. They're on the move again.

Hearts racing with excitement, I rush out of my bedroom and down the wooden stairs to the dining table, pushing aside all my novels and the cups the Sins and Elizabeth had used to drink their hot chocolate in search of the one thing I know will help me find the Ten Commandments.