History

8 years later

I was 10 when Jasper left and I'm know 18 years old. I'm still lanky and thin. Being given scraps and lentil soup will do that to a growing body.

Three years after Jasper left, my dad murdered my mom. She wanted to move away from here and leave him. She had, had enough of his drinking, and of her own self wallowing. She was going to take me with her to! She wanted us to start fresh, she wanted to put the past behind us. The night we were going to leave, Mother never came to get me. I sat in the kitchen hidden in the potato sacks, waiting. I waited all night, and I unwillingly fell asleep. When I woke up, I heard kitchen hands gossiping. "Did you hear?" Said Rita. "The master ordered some of the men to beat his wife to death!" "For shame." Replied Betty "I heard it was because the madam wanted to leave" A heavy sigh rang out through the room. "Nothings been the same since master Jasper left. Wanting to do good for your country is nice and well. But doing so without a blessing or permission." Rita rambles on, "Hush now Rita. Before someone hears us" cuts in Betty. Hearing this from the kitchen maids made my blood run cold. I couldn't be in the same room with my father after hearing this. Let alone look at him. I felt so alone in this world.