6. Ruk Ja O Dil Deewane

Start from the beginning

"Assalam Alaikum khala." She said, pressing it to her ear. 'I'll be back' she mouthed and moved through the crowd leaving me standing there alone.

My thoughts wandered back to this creepy rockstar as I watched him intently.

His voice filling my insides, with occasional glances here and there. His voice was good. Great even. I'll give him that. But his cockiness outdid it all for me. Every time he'd gaze at me while singing, my smile would change into a frown or a scowl. Anything that worked on covering how much I was enjoying everything.

I mean, c'mon, I'm on a vacation! I couldn't ruin these moments because of some creepy asshole jerk.

I felt someone tug at my arm, while I was busy thinking. I looked to my side, finding Zaara in a disrupted state.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Khala called saying Mummy's not well." I frowned at the news.

"Kiya hua aunty ku?" She sighed, running a hand over her face.

"She passed out. I'll have to go home this instant."

"Of course! Dinner baad me karlinge. I'll call home and tell them you won't be able to make it."

She nodded, tears forming in her eyes. I pulled her in an embrace and felt her arms wrap around me tightly.

"I can't lose her too, Saira." She whimpered, as her body shook lightly.

I shushed her, rubbing her back. "You won't lose her. She'll be fine, inshallah." Zaara pulled away, wiping her tears. I passed her a reassuring smile.

"How are you going home?" Sniffing, she swiped open the app booking an uber.

"I'll call a cab." I nodded.

Looking over my shoulder, I steal a last glance of him. He didn't notice my gaze, as his eyes were shut. All his attention on the song he was singing. Turning my head away, I follow her to the restaurant's door.

We stood outside, waiting for the cab to arrive.

"How will you go home?" Zaara asked after a moment of silence, turning to look at me.

I knew Zaara since we were in high school. She lived with her family in the States since she was two. Being the only child to her parents, she was pampered. More than you can imagine.

Her parents met mine, at our freshmen year student orientation. And like any other Indian would, they connected instantly. Pushing us to become friends was the first thing that crossed their minds after they got to know they were from Hyderabad too.

Almost like...sone pe suhaga. Or whatever that is.

We didn't become friends instantly like our parents, but on a steady pace with a bond that ran deeper and stronger. And it didn't take long for us to get to know each other's family. We'd often call them over for dinners, hang out after school or anywhere possible, until, her father passed away in a brutal car accident.

We were in senior year, only months away from graduation when the incident took place, shaking us to the core. Trauma swallowed Zaara, hitting her the hardest out of us all. She lost her father. It's never easy living without one, no matter if you're a boy or a girl. A father is a father, whatsoever. 

I remember spending days in the room with her, so she doesn't feel alone. Holding her hand and dragging her from class to class at school. She didn't speak for days. I had to force food into her mouth despite her protests. That night in her room, I remember her calling my name ever so softly, as she looked at me before crashing in my arms and wailed. For hours, until sleep subdued her.