Chapter 31: The Missing Princess

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I--"

"Yes. Let us guess," Tiger Mask exclaimed. "She has brown hair... that rules out the blonde twins. Perhaps she is one of the elder set of twins? Princess Carmine or Cerise?"

"I've caught a glimpse of Princess Carmine at court and have heard the whispers. It would be delightful for her to make an unexpected appearance before me at any time. If this is an impression of her, it isn't a good one. This one isn't nearly as developed as her," Wolf Mask laughed making an obscene gesture about his chest.

"Yes. Princess Carmine also has dark eyes. This one has green. Are you by chance Princess Rose, Your Majesty?" Pig Mask inquired. Though the title was appropriate, the way he said it was not. "What is the prize if I guess correctly, hm?"

"No, I'm--"

"Perhaps she is the princess who was kidnapped?" Tiger Mask exclaimed like a child. "The one who had just came of age?"

"Y--"

"Perhaps we need a closer look?" Wolf Mask took a brazen step forward and I took a step back only to hit the chest of the Pig Mask who had maneuvered around.

"Is she acting coy or shy? I can't tell," Tiger Mask said.

"Either way, I am ready for some royal treatment. What say you, Highness?" Pig Mask's hands suddenly grabbed onto my hips and I spun around and slapped the mask off his face. The belligerent man with snow white hair yelled, his voice going up an octave, "How dare you strike me? Do you have any idea who I am, you filthy whore!"

"Whore? How dare you!"

"I appreciate your commitment to your ambiguous character but don't go acting high and mighty, woman!" Tiger Mask reprimanded.

"Somebody ought to teach the girl some respect," Wolf Mask said with a glint to his eye like he would be happy to.

What mess am I in now? I stood shaking not sure whether to run or stand my ground. The situation was unimaginable!

"What is the meaning of this?" The duchess made her way over. "You know the rules. Such deplorable language will not be tolerated here, my Lords. Please take any quarrels off my lawn."

"My Gracious Lady," the elderly unmasked man started, "you should take care who you hire in your employment. This little heathen has stepped out of line."

The lady turned with a sneer set on her lips. She did a double take and her cool exterior instantly slipped. "Y-your Majesty!"

Suddenly, Zeph and Tallis blinked between us. Zeph had his crossbow aimed making everyone jump back and Tallis grabbed me by the shoulders.

"What happened?" He demanded looking into my eyes.

"Who shall I kill, Princess?" Zeph said.

A split second passed and Tallis's mood shifted into red hot anger. He swung around to the Pig Mask who was complaining to the duchess. "What is the name of all the Divines is going on here? I do not appreciate this little show, Duchess. I was promised anonymity and this chit slaps off my mask. Punish her!"

"Shut your mouth, you fool, and put your mask back on. Everyone, I must ask that we end our festivities prematurely. Please take your leave." When her guests did not seem to understand the gravity of the situation, she shouted, "Guards! Escort my guests out this instant." Once they were gone, she turned to me. "Princess, how happy I am to see--"

"You should be on your knees bowing right now," I said with disgust.

"Is that really necessary, Your Highness?"

"Yes. It is," Tallis said.

The highly esteemed noblewoman awkwardly lowered herself to the ground, the task made harder by the fullness of her skirt. When servants rushed forward to help her, Zeph pointed his crossbow at them.

Feeling powerful, I looked around and saw the steward who was trying to disappear behind a large plant. "You. What is your name?"

He cleared his throat and stepped out acting as if he was not just trying to make an escape. "Sir George Hazelton, Your Highness."

"He is lying," Zeph said.

"D-did I--? Oh! I thought you asked for my cousin's name. No, forgive me, Your Majesty. My name is Sir Bernard Ackeridge. And I did not mean to mistake you for--"

"Sir Ackeridge!"

"Yes, Princess?"

"Prepare baths, food and clothes for me and my companions. Then ready the Duchess's most comfortable carriage, your finest horses and a guard escort to take us to Highveine."

A cover of Halo. Found this on YouTube the other day and thought it fit nicely with Tallis and Sienna <3