Chapter 28: Betrayal

There wasn't much in my world beyond myself. It has always been survival even after I had made it out of the mouse hole. I still found myself watching my back and doing everything I could to stand out, to get a leg up on my competition. This way of thinking was exhausting, but I never lied or cheated or stole what was not mine.

I thought things were looking bright for me in such a dark city. Despite losing my friendship with Glinn, my guild master still believed in me. He was skeptical at first but as it all started coming together, he was my number one supporter.

When Wayfyl took credit for my airship, I saw red. I broke the latches off the door when I went to confront him in his office. He sat there as usual with his cigar hanging from his lip.

"Tallis! What's the rush, son?"

"Don't call me that. You took all the credit for my invention!"

"Now, now, let's not get ahead--"

"Too late. You can either come clean or I am going to report this theft to the board--"

"I already have."
Something in my stomach turned. "You have?"

He took an infuriating long drag of his cigar, crushing it before answering. "A friend of mine in the commission already has my theft report ready to be filed and submitted. A certain protege of mine is going to try to lay a claim to my hard work. Such a shame. He had such a bright future."

"What? No. It's my work. You're the one who stole it."

"Says who? They have the documents with my name on them. I turned them in myself." Wayfyl raised an eyebrow at me as if I was speaking backwards.

This sort of proposal is an awful big one, Tallis. Lots of hairy paperwork. Let me take it and I'll make sure it gets filed properly.

I was so stupid to blindly trust the man. How could I have known I was dealing with a snake? After all that he had done for me? Why did I keep forgetting I was the only one I could rely on? My mind raced as I thought of how to prove I was the original creator.

"You can't get away with this. I have all the original drafts and notes!"

"Do you though, son?" He said with an evil glint in his eye.

Without hesitation, I turned on my heel practically flying down the steps down to my workstation as those cruel words taunted me. I rummaged through my belongings until it looked like a tornado had blown by the small space. It's all gone. He took all of it.

His footsteps clicked against the wood floor. I didn't bother rising. I stayed on my knees looking at the mess. "You stole it..."

"I am a senior inventor." His laugh was deep, and the sound brought hateful tears to my eyes. "Why would I steal the work of a mere apprentice?"

"Because I am smarter than you."

"Oh... mmm... perhaps." His ashes fell to the ground beside me and he squatted on his knees so his voice was right in my ear. "But here is the thing, Tallis. You would be nowhere without me. Your cockiness is tolerated here because of me. You, yourself, are nothing. Hell. I could have sold you off to some higher ups that would love to be entertained by a pretty boy. But I didn't. Cause you had more to offer. Here is what you don't get. So let me make it clear."

He stood then and kicked me hard in the ribs. I was down on my side surprised by the sudden assault. "Everything you do or will do is because Maru provided. Every thought, every dream, every idea that pops up in that brilliant mind of yours... it's all property of Maru. You should be grateful. Your parents didn't want you, but Maru is mother to all. Chin up, Tallis. We all have to pay our dues...