From best friends to enemies

"What are you wearing? People don't dress like this on a date." It was Asher.

"I want to kill him.‖ I muttered before turning back to look at the front door.

It was a surprise that he was home. He spent most of his time with different girls, who he‘d change constantly like they were his selection of shirts.

"Too bad! You can't." He replied, to my utter irritation.

I wanted to punch him and see the blood trailing down his nose. He made me angry like no one else ever had and to say that I had loved him once. The irony of life…

His family and mine - we were close. Literally. Our houses were next to each other‘s and we shared a huge garden. And to top it all off, our moms were best friends. Our dads were business partners. And yes, our brothers and our sisters were best friends too.

As for Asher and I, we hated each other with equal passion.

We fought over lots of silly things when we were young, but we got back just as fast. Because whatever it was, Liana and Asher were best buddies back then.

I started to hate him when he turned from a nice person – my best friend—to one of those arrogant jerks at our school. I started to hate him when he pushed me out of his life for only one reason – popularity and fame. OK, make that two.

I remembered that day clearly – like it was videotaped in my brain. It was early in the morning and the white wisps of mist enshrouded the garden. I was waiting for him. We went to school together, EVERYDAY. That day, he didn‘t turn up. That was the first blow to our relationship.

Then I saw him hanging out with all the jocks and the cheerleaders, which was the second strike. I waved at him and he didn't even nod back, which was the third strike and he was out! No, it didn‘t happen quite that fast, but you get the idea.

Finally, I just decided to get rid of him from my life. It was not easy then and not easy now, but I have learnt to pretend. I‘ve learnt to mask my true feelings and get on with it. After wearing the mask continuously, I don‘t even remember my true self anymore, but I love this. This way no one can hurt me; no one can look clearly into my soul and have any power over me.

I don‘t know why exactly he had stopped being my friend. I have some theories, the simplest being: I was not pretty enough to fit right in with the popular girls.

I wear thick black framed glasses, which hide my round blue eyes. I always prefer baggy clothes and pants, because dresses are never my first choice. They aren‘t my second or third choice either. My dark brown hair is as boring as the rest of me. My usual attire (yeah, I said ‗attire‘. You get the problem now?) also consists of a hooded jacket. I love the warm protective feeling it gives me. The hooded jacket – it‘s my haven, the place I can hide. No wonder I was invisible.

Now let me tell you all about my group.

I have four best friends. They are the best people in the whole world! 'The trouble clause' includes Riya Smith, the mother hen of the group; Trent Trevor, the jock of the group. Harry Cooper, the joker of the group and Sidney Trevor, the emo of the group and finally me, the loser of the group.

I looked at my watch again. It was already late and the buffoon who was supposed to take me on a date was not here.

I hate waiting as much as I hate Asher.

I had just decided to go back home and take a nap, but before I could turn back, a car pulled into my driveway. I stopped in my tracks.

"Hi Liana," he greeted me and then stared at me like I was a crazy person. His face contorted into a frown, and he looked like he was constipated.