Chapter Three

Dearest Reader,

This author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news. It seems our diamond requires a closer inspection. As such, an even rarer jewel of only the most remarkable brilliance, fire, and luster has been unearthed. Her name unknown to most, yet soon known to all, is Miss Marina Thompson. This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton for we all must know what the queen despises more than anything... Being wrong. And the drawing-room at Bridgerton House currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George. It follows that Lady Featherington is to receive what she has always desired: The season's true incomparable living under her roof. She must be overjoyed.

I put the paper down when I was finished reading and Mother snatched it from me right away. The suitors had left. They were ushered out by Mother who said she needed a break from it all.

I knew one thing Lady Whistledown was wrong about. Mother loathes Marina's beauty. She hates the fact Prudence, Philippa, and Penelope are being overshadowed by her.

Penelope, Philippa, and Prudence were having this chunky white cream put on their face. It smelled wretched and looked just as disgusting.

A few moments after she picked up the newspaper she put it back down. She looked over at Marina, who had a maid helping her put on her slippers.

"Is Miss Thompson so high in her instep that's she's unable to don her slippers? I should think not," Mother growled at the maid, annoyed with the amount of attention Marina is receiving. The maid quickly moved her hands back and Marina bent down to put her slippers on.

An hour later, new callers arrived for Marina. Colin Bridgerton being amongst them. Eloise had also come to visit Penelope with a message that Francesca would like to take a walk with me later.

The caller that is now speaking has a red coat and an awful bushy mustache. He is reciting the most horrendous poem, one should never have the misfortune of hearing.

"And so, by Heaven, your love may burn, from the depths of my soul. 'Tis thee I shall earn." Mother began clapping and soon others followed. Penelope, who was holding a dog one of the callers brought, was looking at me. We both looked as if we were to burst into laughter at any moment.

"Wonderful. Wonderful. Gentleman, thank you for your calls. Do not forget to bid Prudence, Philippa, Penelope, or even Olivia farewell as you go," Mother spoke saying my name distastefully. Colin was the only one to stop.

"A most wretched sonnet, indeed," he whispered to us with a small smirk.

"Lord Byron he is not," Penelope said and Colin chuckled a little bit.

"I do not believe so. Good day, Pen," he nodded his head. "Olivia." Then, walked out of the room. I smirked at Penelope as she watched him go.

There was a knocking on the door. Briarly came into the sitting room a few moments later.

"Miss Featherington, Francesca Bridgerton has arrived," He said looking at me.

"Oh, how wonderful. Tell her I will be right out," I responded. He nodded and left the room. I put on my shoes and quickly ran to the door, wanting to get as far away as possible.

I opened the door and was met with Francesca looking over at the park.

"Are we going to the park?" I asked. She nodded.

"Yeah, I'm going to help you pick out your husband," she said giddily and linked our arms together. I groaned.

"You know I'm never going to marry," I said raising an eyebrow at her.