Dodging Bullets-Chapter 2: The 'Group'

"Take my hand!" Shouted a well built boy with black, shiny hair and kind blue eyes. He was in the room before the explosions, so I guess he's okay. "What's going on? Who are you?" I yelled at him over the explosions, taking his large hand. "We'll explain when we get out of here-." He started to say something else but cut himself off. I glanced around the room, now filled with fire and smoke. He led me quickly to a back entrance, easily hopping over fallen debris and burning desks. He slammed his shoulder in to the locked back door, busting it open with the impact. Damn, this kid was in shape.

He shoved me gently out of the door and in to the warm rays of the sun. The bright green grass crunched beneath my feet as he led me to the far side of the school in record time.

"The others are still in there, stay here. If anyone comes for you yell your name, if they don't respond with their own- kill them." He said to me, sprinting back to the burning building. "Thank you!" I screeched to him, he held up a hand and continued on.

I stood there with my arms crossed under the large oak, the sun hitting my feet as I waited for everyone to return- especially that boy. I don't know if he felt it too, but when he grabbed my hand I felt sparks shoot up my arm. I rubbed the hand he had grabbed, remembering the feeling.

Just then, I heard footsteps approaching- at a fast pace. My head whipped up, my senses on full alert. I didn't know what the SHL exactly was- but I could tell it wasn't someone I wanted to be involved with.

"J- Alaina!" I yelled -It wouldn't be smart to give away my identity to whoever this was. The person dressed in a black clad outfit neared me, whipping out a syringe. My eyes widened, what the flick did they want to do?! Put me to sleep?! As they came closer, in their onyx spandex and dark jacket, I centered myself under pressure. I closed my eyes, taking in a calming, deep breath. Re-opening my eyes, the person running toward me had paused, hearing large oak near them begin to creak. It began to tilt toward my target, slowly but surely. The roots n the left side of the tree began plucking out of the soil, one by one, freeing themselves from the soils grasp. I didn't particularly like killing nature, it was just the nearest resource I had. The stranger watched the tree begin to tip, and started retreating to the north- they would never escape the branches. I willed the tree to fall faster, and sure enough the tree toppled over onto the ground and more importantly-the person. With a sickening crunch, the stranger and the tree hit the grass. And that, was the first time I have ever killed someone.

++++

A few minutes later, the hot, black haired boy slipped out of the back entrance, his entire being smothered in grey ash. He was coughing, and trailing behind him were 5 kids, including Jordan, covered head to toe in ashes and coughing as well. They sprinted toward me, coughing smoke out of their lungs all the while. They glanced at the tree, their faces a giant question mark.

"Uh... Him..." I motioned to the hot boy with black hair. "He told me that if anyone came near me and didn't say their name back after I yelled mine, to kill them... So I kind of had a tree fall on them...?" I said, more of a question than a statement.

Jordan came forward and clapped me on the back, ash flying in to the air from the action. "Nice. Earth worker?" She asked me. "Um... What? No... It just kind of fell." I lied. I didn't know if these kids were like me, or even safe to be with. I mean, they were being hunted by the government... "It's okay to tell the truth, we all have powers too. I have the power of electricity, but I need electricity near me to manipulate it. Caiden over there," She motioned to the black haired boy who had been the one to pull me from the building. "Can run at a faster speed than anyone, you can't catch him. He can also manipulate water." I glanced at him- he was grinning quite cockily. I made a mental note to myself to watch his ego. "Caiden's with Alyssa." A pang of jealousy flashed through me; why were the hot guys always taken?!

She flung her hand in the direction of a short, petite girl with dirty blonde hair and an unfriendly expression. "She can manipulate heat, or fire." She then moved on to the next kid, an extremely tall blonde guy with forest green eyes. He grinned at me, and gave a goofy wave. "Lance. I manipulate water."  He tucked his hands back in to his jean pockets, flipping his hair to the side of his face with the Justin Bieber hair flip- I hate Justin Bieber. So. Much.  "And this is Brannon." He was short, and had brown hair that went up to his ears with soft hazel eyes. He nodded to me in hello. "He controls earth."

I nodded, taking it all in. "So, Jordan, Caiden, Alyssa, Lance, and Brannon. Are we the only people with powers? And what is the SHL?" So many questions were running through my mind right now, and I needed answers.  "We're the only people we know of that have powers, and the SHL is the Supernatural Hunting League. They hunt people like us to abduct us in to the military forces to be used as weapons, and if we decline and fight back, they'll kill us and dissect us to find out how we gained our powers." We began walking in to the trees, and I noticed the forest getting thicker and thicker the deeper we went.

"So, they want to use us in wars. And why were they at the school? And why did we just leave the school burning to the ground?" I shot out my couple of a million questions- I needed some answers! "Yes, and they were at the school to abduct us, of course. Our parents couldn't fight against the government, and nothing is protecting us from them but ourselves and each other. We left the school burning because there were about 10 of them and if we put out the fire after leaving our DNA, they could track us or threaten our families with our safety. And the fire they caused should kill the 10-9, since you crushed one with a tree." She giggled at that, as did I. Lance clapped me on the back, as did Caiden. Brannon gave me a dirty look- tree hugger. Alyssa remained expressionless, showing no emotion toward me. "Are there only 10 of them?" I asked, glancing around the trees quickly to make sure we weren't being watched. "Hell no. There are tons of them, but the group is a secret to the world- except for us. We've run in to their attacks here and now, so were even more of a target since we now know about them. They think we'll reveal them to the world. That is certainly my plan, but we need to maintain a safe distance from them first." She explained, I noted the surroundings becoming darker and darker as we trudged through the now dense forest.

"When that SHL person was running at me, they took out a syringe... what exactly did they plan to do with that?" I asked, my hand subconsciously rising to my extremely visible vain in my right arm. "It's an extremely effective drug, it knocks you out for hours- gives them enough time to load you on the copter and take you safely to their bases without the person waking up for hours, days even." I winced, imagining myself getting hit with one of those- my life would be over. "So, we have to run and fight against the government for who knows how long?" Jordan looked startled but a bright smile flashed across her face. "You mean you're staying with us?" I nodded, shrugging my shoulders absent mindedly. "I mean, I guess. My parents don't really care about me- and if I went back to my house, that's the first place they would look for me, right?" She nodded; her little pig tails bouncing in the breeze as she stepped over a fallen branch. "Exactly. We'll be on the run for a while, though. This is a serious commitment. Are you sure?" She paused and turned on her heel toward me. I paused as well, taking a good few seconds to think this over. I mean, I didn't want to go in to war and use my power to KILL people, and I didn't want to be killed for people to pluck me limb from limb. My parents don't care about me, and I really didn't have any friends... "I'm sure." I said to her, nodding me head at the same time. She grinned, playfully hitting my shoulder. "Well then, welcome to our group-." But her voice was cut off with a shrill scream behind us- a scream of Alyssa's.

++++

SNAP! What happened to Alyssa?! You'll have to keep reading to find out! J Don't worry, I'll upload soon. I love writing this story! COMMENT, VOTE, FAN?? <3 Please. PS: This isn't edited!