Chapter 14, Ethan

Chapter 14

Ethan

Driving one of the fancy cars stashed in the garage, I speed well past the limit, using the navigator to get me there. Ironically, it’s the same car that I’d gotten dragged into when I was basically kidnapped. I’d left with the beautiful car straight after Clare left me alone in my room, which was well over an hour since Ammon and Jenna left the house. Jenna had looked so beautiful wearing a light blue floor length dress. It was a really nice on too, it was tight around her chest but loose and flowey around her legs, leaving a short trail behind her. Ammon though, had worn a plain dark red shirt and black pants with a matching red mask. I myself wore a very black shirt with the sword Ammon gave me to match. Pulling into the venue of the ball. The place is huge, multiple cars are pulling up and letting people out of them then driving away to be placed in a parking lot next to the building. As I step out, a man offers to take the keys and I let him. Multiple people dressed in formal dresses and tux stand in groups talking to one another as they are topped off with a mask. Happily wearing my own pure black mask, making me blend in with the crowd. Everything inside the massive building was grand and almost all of it was either gold or white. Following the music I guess I reach the ball room where people glide along the floor in beat with the music. Having no game plan, I start searching for Jenna. Funny thing is that the only reason I’m attending this cheesy ball is so I can try and piss that air headed Ammon off. Every time I see him, fury builds up inside me. What right does he have to another’s life? Slavery is sick, just as sick as his suppositive society which is more like a cult if you ask me. If he ever shows the slightest wrong move in weapons practice, I’m never going to hesitate to slit his throat. Spotting Jenna being talked up by some snobby looking guy, I walk towards her with a purpose. The purpose being, get the baby ass snob away from Jenna. Excusing myself as I pass a group of ladies laughing, on the other side Ammon stares at me with his arms crossed over his chest. Least I pissed the dude off, sadly I won’t be around to spoil any more of his fun. “I commanded you to stay at the mansion, you are from now forth going to be stuck with the same chores of the gardeners and stable hands. Your riding lessons that I’d planned for after this night have from this moment forth been postponed for another three months. I though after living here for just under three weeks, you’d be more respectful to what I ask of you and you’d have the manners of a noblemen.”

“Do you not believe that this is not the time nor place for one of your tantrums?” Got him. With a stutter and a flourish of his face, he then turned and stormed off as if someone had said he wet his bed at night. I wouldn’t be surprised if a guy like him would. Looking around, Jenna and her snobby boyfriend have disappeared, leaving me with no idea what to do or where to go. Though, with nothing else to do, I make my way over towards where some finger food and drinks have been placed. There is so much, ranging from sandwiches to cakes all the way to rice balls and minni pizza’s. standing around with a glass of wine in hand, I once again start to scan the crowd of people, looking for Jenna just so I’d have someone to talk to. Gee I never knew this thing would be so boring, I’d at least expect some form of entertainment other than music and dancing. Guess it would have been more fun if I knew someone. Or if I was with Lyra, wonder what she’d be doing tonight? Wonder if I’d even be able to see her in that town Ammon owns. Who am I kidding, she’d probably be living in an apartment with some badass dude who swoons over her and she’d probably be just as mad for him. God it betta not be one of those dimwitted monkeys. If it was, then I’d skin them alive then I’d- what am I saying? I’d never hurt them, no matter what they did, their like my brothers. What is it with me, I’ve never been this violent, well that’s a lie. I was only this violent when I was drunk that one time, and when Ammon had gotten that girl whipped. Tuning back to the room and people around me, a group of giggly girl’s coward behind one as they push her forward and towards me. She’s cute, wearing a blue ball gown with a ribbon tied twice around her, ending at her waist with a bow then trailing to her knees.  “Um, excuse me sir.” Glancing back to her friends for encouragement she continues, “Would you please accompany me for this dance?” Such hope fills her eyes with fear of rejection. It would have been funny if I’d said no but offering my arm without a word, she takes it and together we start walking towards the dance floor. Her dumb blond friends start giggling and small comments reach me like “she’s so gonna get dumped” or “isn’t he Lord Ammon’s adopted son?” The one that really caught me though was “let’s push this freak into the mud where she belongs.” As if the girl on my arm didn’t hear them, or was she just oblivious to it. Joining the fray of dancers so do the dumb blonds with their own partners.  “So, what’s your name?” I ask into the awkward silence between us. Looking down at our feet she answers in a whisper of a voice barely loud enough to hear over the music. “M my name? Um, it’s -it’s Amla, Amla Lorfilia house of Escalus Sir.”