Chapter Twenty Four: The Second Coming

"I don't like it," Jeff said to himself, as he sat alone in a lawn chair on the patio.

Nick had flown them to their home in Star City, and it was past midnight. Sandy and the others had fallen asleep rather easily, but not Jeff. He was still waiting for God to explain what He meant about dying to glorify Him. He had worried so much he couldn't sleep.

Jeff prayed for further revelation, but received no answer. Since they came back, God had not talked audibly to Jeff. It felt rather strange, not hearing His voice. Jeff had gotten used to it. "I don't like it," he said again. "Please tell me what you meant."

But there was no answer.

Jeff felt a little ashamed. He knew a true believer shouldn't be afraid of death. On the contrary, he should welcome it. Death ushered in a change of status, leaving the physical body and receiving a new spiritual body. He would go to be with the Lord, in heaven. Paradise. Forever. He should look forward to it. Most of the time he did. Jeff didn't think he could have done ministry the way he had if afraid of death. He'd faced it every day since he became a Christian, and so did his family. He was sure they felt the same way. They lived everyday as lambs waiting to be slaughtered. It was a great adventure.

So he pondered what his problem was, wondering if his faith was drying up. He knew the Bible says God is not pleased with anyone who shrinks back in fear.

Understanding suddenly came to him. Jeff wasn't a coward as far as dying was concerned. He was a coward about suffering. The Lord hadn't told him how he would die. Up until now, most dangerous situations they'd faced held the possibility of instant death—being shot by possessed humans. But he was most worried about dying slowly, in agony.

Thoughts of the cross came to mind. His Lord had died a slow, painful death for his sins. The least he could do is be willing to suffer if God asked him to. But Jeff wished God would somehow deaden his pain receptors; then he would do it gladly. However, it wasn't likely to happen. Compared to how Stephanie had suffered and died though, he felt like such a wimp. But Stephanie had been a willing warrior with years of experience. Jeff didn't think he could personally bear something like his daughter's experience or see his family suffer some similar fate.

Nevertheless, he was ready to obey no matter what, and he felt confident his family would express the same sentiments. That, perhaps more than anything, really bothered him. Since the beginning of history, God's people had always suffered unjustly in the hands of evil, and God had allowed it. Jeff knew he wasn't anyone special to be somehow exempt. Even before the Son of God had been tortured to death, He had warned His followers to expect the same. The servant wasn't any better than the master. Still, if he could ask for one small favor, he would ask for a quick death. Jeff didn't think he'd make a good slow death martyr.

"Don't you know I love you and your family, Jeff?" God said.

It was good to hear it again. It had seemed like such a long time. "Yes, Lord."

"Don't you know I will not allow my children to be tempted beyond what they can bear?"

Jeff was silent, eagerly waiting to hear more.

"You and your family will die quickly and painlessly."

Jeff felt relieved, as the weight of uncertainty lifted off his back, and he began to think more clearly. "Tell me more about tomorrow. When and where will we go? What's going to happen?"

"I will not tell you."

Jeff knew better than to insist. God told him things little bits at a time. He would be overwhelmed otherwise. Not only that, but Jeff knew he would not be living by faith if he understood everything, and God wanted Jeff to trust Him implicitly.