Chapter Three: Religious evolutionary connections

Start from the beginning

"I guess the plan didn't work too well," Nick said.

Valerie thought Nick must be referring to the centuries of moral depravity the Bible writers had recorded the Israelites had done.

"No," Acin-om replied. "We have found humans to be exceptionally rebellious, self-centered, and self-seeking."

"But how did you inspire people to write and do all those things?" Nick asked. "I didn't know they had pencils or paper when Adam and Eve were alive."

Acin-om smiled. "They didn't. The events recorded in the Bible weren't written as they happened. In fact, there were no organized Scriptures until Khur-ak appeared to and instructed Moses what to write in the first five books of the Old Testament around 1400 BC. Previous to that, any knowledge of our involvement with humans was passed on to others by oral tradition because for the first few thousand years we were mainly involved in people's lives in a very secretive way—influencing them subconsciously through the conscience-bubble and inflicting guilt if they disobeyed. But, as I said, it was quite difficult to control people reliably and consistently through these means alone, for they simply didn't listen very well, and the promptings of the mind implant were subject to human interpretations and feelings. You needed more definite guidance.

"So we carefully thought through the best way to appear to humans physically and influence them further—by pretending to be God. In the case of other Old Testament writings, Khur-ak again appeared and talked to some of the authors. At other times we spoke through prophets, dreams, visions, or disguised as angels. Rarely would we appear visibly because you were not ready for such a thing. We were usually either revered or feared—neither of which we wanted for we are merely the same type of creature as yourselves, but much older."

"Just a minute," Valerie said. "This doesn't make sense. Whether humans revered you or feared you, either way they would obey you. Why didn't you just appear to people physically and command them to behave with civility." Valerie realized she sounded like a doubter, but inside, started to feel less and less like one. She simply desired to understand.

"We considered it, but our future forecasts showed there was virtually a one hundred percent chance such action would have led to man's extinction around 1000 AD."

Valerie wrinkled her left eyebrow up in a thoughtful pose. "Are your forecasts always right?"

"No."

"Then how could you be sure it wouldn't work?"

"We couldn't, but we weren't willing to take the chance. From our observations of human nature, we believed the forecasts were correct in this instance."

"Why?"

"Because, as you humans are fond of saying, familiarity breeds contempt. If we were constantly visible, commanding everyone to obey us, it wouldn't be long before the novelty of our existence would wear off and people would start openly challenging us. We have observed that humans have an exceptional hatred of domination and have a strong desire to govern themselves. If we had tried to rule this world with an iron hand, pretending to be gods, it would work for awhile, but eventually people would rebel, forcing us to either destroy everyone, or leave—of course we would have chosen the latter. Once gone, any possible influence a belief in God might have once had would be minimal. People would realize they could rebel against us 'gods' and triumph, and they would assume the same would hold true after death. Your extinction would then be pretty much a certainty.

"Instead, we decided a form of human self-government, built on basic laws and principles of a mysterious 'God' would be best. We had observed that this, combined with a conscience, and the fear of what will happen to oneself after death, was the best possible behavioral control mechanism for humans."