☞Ex-military

"How on earth did he even manage to get there?" you mumble, drilling into the suspect with your eyes. The only thing that was currently keeping him from dropping 100 feet to his death were the ropes and the firefighter next to him that was making sure he got down as graciously as possible. Even though he did not deserve it whatsoever.

Wallace Boden glanced back at you, pulling his hands into the air. "Don't ask me officer."

You shook your head with a sigh, clutching the ends of your vest tighter with your hands if that was even possible. Your eyes came together as you squinted them to look past the sun, wanting now more than ever to have a pair of sunglasses on your face. Your partner, Jay Halstead, was leaning against a black SUV, arms crossed over his chest and a pair of sunglasses on his handsome face. He watched the scene unfold before him and unlike you, the sun didn't seem to faze him.

The street has been closed off, as expected in a case like this one. The unit had come heavily prepared 10 minutes ago, only to find the suspect hanging from a broken window being held up by nothing but his own pants. But he did look surprisingly peaceful as the Captain of truck 81 carried him down to the ground.

Creating order was your job and so you stepped outside the human shield of officers to help the Captain. "I'm here to take him off your shoulders, Cap."

Matt visibly smiled, chucking the man in front of him to take off his ropes. "By all means detective."

The next few seconds passed in a blur, barely even giving you time to assess the situation properly. Somehow somewhere, a gun was pulled out in the man's quick haste to escape. Pointing it to the unarmed Captain was his shot out of there.

Or so he thought.

It wasn't that you were thinking, more so that the amount of experience you had was what kicked in and brought you to action. The speed with which you had jumped in with to disarm the man only came from familiarity, and not from the rank. You grabbed the slide of the gun, clutching it tightly and obstructing the slide from cycling into a shot. The peacefulness he had carried with him was now long gone as he started to trash around, attempting to remove your grip and have full control of the gun again.

You didn't have it and instead pulled your elbow into his face until you heard, rather than felt, a sickening snap of bones. Your leg flew in right after, sending him hurling to the ground.

With the gun now in your possession, you allowed yourself to breathe. Tossing the gun from one hand to another like it was a toy, you turned to the stunned Captain. With a swift move of your hand, the magazine flew out and the gun was officially rendered useless.

"You aright, Cap?" You asked with a smirk, glancing at his chest that was raising and falling rapidly as puffs of air escaped his lugs.

Matt gave you a thumbs up, letting out the last panicked breath. "I don't know how you guys deal with this every day. You-"

"I have experience. But it was still a risky thing for me to do, I apologize."

Matt's eyes widened, "No, no it's alright. You definitely looked like you knew what you were doing."

You smiled, flattered in a way. "The military does that to you."

By now, the man was swarmed with detectives, and you didn't feel the need to interject, instead choosing the moment to walk the Captain to his truck. "You were in the military?"

"Mhmm," you mused, "That's where I learned how to do that."

You didn't even really know what name to call your little stunt. "Although I'm not anymore...in the military. Obviously. I mean, I -"

A heavy silence settled over you when you finally decided to stop rambling, thicker than the one surrounding the mass of police.

You felt incredibly awkward at that moment. Never knowing how to start a conversation with men, especially ones as handsome as Matt wasn't fairly uncommon for you. You scratched the back of your neck awkwardly, showing him just how real you were without even knowing it.

People whistled when they saw what you did, expected you to be bold and confident because of it.

You weren't.

It intrigued him, and so he smiled, showing you his gleaming teeth. "Well, I think what you did back there was mind-blowing."

"Really? You really think so?"

Somehow getting a compliment from him was more than enough. Not even Voight's words will fill you up with pride like Matt's did just now. For whatever reason unfamiliar to you.

"I guess I owe you now," said Matt suddenly. Just as you were about to shake your head dismissively did, he stopped in his tracks, making you do the same too. "How about I return the favor with a drink?"

You pretended to think about it for a second, your toes curling in your combat boots as you did so, "Yeah sure. I'd like that."

The two of you exchanged details, scheduling your meet to be the following Saturday at Molly's.

You joined your unit with a skip in your steps and heart that was threatening to jump out. "What's with the smile?"

It was Jay who sneakily joined you by the car, looking at you with a knowing gaze in his blue eyes. The sunglasses hung on his dark red shirt, now forgotten due to the shade from the building. "I have a date!"

"With whom?" He asked, eyes just a bit wider than usual.

"Captain Casey."

Jay wiggled his eyebrows at, whistling proudly and bringing out his fist for you. You placed your own fist against his victoriously. "Atta girl."

"I know right?" You agreed dreamily, "All because I risked my life to get that gun away from him."

"I don't wanna be that person," Kevin Atwater came up to you with a frown, "But I think being ex-military has something to with all this."

"What do you mean?" You asked him.

"Oh, you know what I mean."

Kevin turned on his heels and stalked away after that, leaving you dazed and confused. "I seriously don't. What's he on about?"

Jay chuckled, slapping your shoulder teasingly. "Atwater thinks being ex-military helps you get noticed."

"Does it?"

"I don't know. You tell me."

Realization shook you a little to late. Jay had already walked away by the time it happened, although his broad shoulders were still very much visibly to you. You glared at them and exclaimed after him, "There was chemistry before I did anything! I felt it!"

You did feel it, and so did the captain.