☞Trapped in flames PT. 1

"Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61. School fire. Southwest Street 12 32."

Matt Casey would stand up and run to his truck without thinking, every time this rung out through the fire house.

Only this time it wasn't that way. He sat frozen in his chair, words barely reaching his brain. But then it clicked, like a cold bucket of water was splashed on his face. "That's Y/DN's school..."

His colleges could do little close to nothing to soothe him. They each shared a sideward glance of worry before running to the vehicle, each one of them squeezing Matt's shoulder and murmuring reassurance.

Christopher was the only one that stood directly by his side. The feeling that brew inside Matt hit all too close to home. Knowing the fact that one day you'll have respond to your kids made each day at work more difficult than the one before. "She'll be alright. She has you for a dad."

With a nod the two of them separated and situated themselves in the vehicle. No one spoke

They only breathed heavily and left Matt alone with his thoughts, only listening to his occasional breakage when he demanded that the speed quickens.

Matt thought about his little daughter at that moment. His little girl whose pink backpack was almost as big as her, maybe even bigger than her.

Then his mind drifted to you. His beautiful wife who didn't even know what was going on in that moment.

***

Your neck cracked with a snap of your colleges fingers. She giggled like a school girl behind you, holding your swirly chair excitedly while you groaned in relief. Being hunched up over your desk the entire morning took a toll on you, and having one of your closest coworkers ease the pressure was close to heavenly.

"Your welcome," You heard her chirp as you smiles in delight.

Acting on pure instinct, you reached out to grab your phone that laid on a stack of unsigned papers close to a rose gold framed photo of your little family. You admired your daughters ringlets of hair and her toothy smile as you scrolled through your emails, looking for the one you needed to print out.

Although news came first. Aimlessly, you brushed your finger against the screen, briefly reading the black bolded letters of each article.

What caught your attention was an emergency article. One that stated a fire broke out and that people needed to avoid the streets. Not yet informed of everything and very much intrigued in which streets you should avoid and how big the damage is, you clicked open the article and what greeted you had your heart stopping.

You swallowed as the realization of the situation hit you where it hurts the most. Your heart.

"Y/N what's wrong? What happened?" The voice of your friend was drowned by the silence. Without thinking about it, you grabbed your car keys and sprinted outside.

One thing was on your mind.

Your daughter.

Was she safe?

Alive?

You brushed your tears away as you pulled your car in reverse and drove to the place you dropped her off this very morning.

***

When you arrived at the school the reality of the situation finally set in.

"My daughter is in there!" You yelled amidst the crowd. First responders were bustling around, children were crying and desperate parents like yourself were trying to push through and give comfort.

"Sorry ma'am but we can't let you through," The officer told you. Upon hearing those words you pushed the back of your hand against your mouth and sobbed, using your other hand to run it through you hair. "My little girl..."

On the other end of the grounds stood Wallace Boden, your and your husband's dear friend. His heart was beating wildly although not in a pace that matched your own. The 6 year old he held at birth was still lost in there somewhere and he lost all his time.

"That's it. Nobody else goes inside. This building is going to collapse-" Flames erupted at that moment, swallowing the building as a whole.

"Severide report!" He screamed.

"We have three victims chief! We're getting out now," His lieutenant reported.

"Casey! Casey report," His attention switched to Matt. Your husband still didn't see the daylight as he's been trapped inside for way too long. "Casey out now! That's an order."

Just as he said that did he get your attention. Bawling your hands into a fist you fought your way through to him, threatening to unleash warth on every police officer that tried to stop you.

"Wallace!" You ran toward the older man, whose heart immediately shattered at the sight of your red rimmed eyes and tear stained cheeks. "Wallace please...Where is she?"

He bit his tounge, "She still hasn't come out."

"What about Matt? Where's Matt?"

At that moment you saw shadowy figures emerge from the smoke with little kids as small as your daughter in their arms. Protected and safe.

More tears sprung to your eyes as you took in the sight of him. Your husband. Matt ran to your arms immediately. "I'm here baby. I'm here..."

"I can't find her," he said, voice broken. You ignored the burning feeling of his uniform against your own clothes and buried your face in his neck. After a moment that lasted for a few short seconds you had enough time to collect yourself.

You kissed both of his eyes and brushed a finger against his damp cheek before leaving him be. "We heard voices in the East hallway. Chief I need 2 more minutes. Please."

Wallace shook his head, "This building is going to collapse. We gotta get water on that building and hope that she makes it."

His words had you on the floor, heart crushed. It felt as though the biggest piece of you was ripped away from you. A piece of your not even Matt could fuffil.

"I'll go with him," Severide volunteered. "Chief his kid is in there."

Just one look at you and Matt made his decision. He crouched down and grabbed your chin. "I'll get her out I promise."

And with that, he placed his mask over his face and ran out to get his miracle. The little girl that changed both of your lives for the better.