The walk to the coffee shop was brisk; the place itself was sort of far-out, but Spencer had said it was his all-time favourite place, so you decided to check it out. You both kept the conversation to a minimum. You wouldn't say it was awkward. Still, the way your hand kept accidentally brushing against his and the occasional brush of shoulders made it hard to concentrate on anything that he said.

You felt his hand grasp your arm, halting your movements, and you turned to look at him, watching as he nodded to the building in front of you, "We're here." He said, opening the door and allowing you to walk inside first. The strong smell of coffee hit your nose the moment you entered, the familiar scent filling you with comfort. The cafe itself was small but in a quaint way; the floor to ceiling windows allowed sunlight to fill the store, and the faint sound of melodic jazz hummed through the air adding to the calm atmosphere. You could see why he liked it so much.

"Window ok?" He asked, gesturing towards the small table that was pushed up against the glass. You nodded slowly, the awkwardness of the situation becoming more apparent as you walked over and took a seat.

"Do you want coffee?" He posed another question, he was also becoming all too aware of how uncomfortable you felt, and he wasn't sure how to react.

"Oh, yeah sure thanks." You answered, fiddling with the menu that sat at the table. You heard Spencer let out a small sigh, and you quickly looked up at him. "What's wrong?" You asked.

"I should be asking you that, you asked me to coffee and now that we're here you're being weird."

"I am not being weird." You said defensively, he was right, and you knew it. Still, something in you wanted to defy his every word and every thought, regardless of whether he was correct or not.

"Yes you are, you're so...quiet, you're never quiet." He joked as he thought back to all the times he'd had to ask you to quieten down during his class or when you would argue his point just for the sake of a debate; you always had something to say, so seeing you so silent was unusual.

You let out a real laugh, not one done out of obligation, and Spencer felt himself relax as he heard that sound he was beginning to adore, "You're right, I'm sorry... it's just strange I guess," Spencer raised his eyebrow as a way to tell you to go on, "Getting coffee with my professor y'know." You finished.

"Y/N we don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with, if you need to take more time to think then you can do that." His hand subconsciously made its way to yours, and you almost took it before you remembered your surroundings; you swiftly moved your hands away, placing them on your lap as your fingers began fiddling with the edge of your skirt.

"Dr Reid, I- I just...." You began, trying to decide what to ask him about first, you'd had all week to prepare and had thought about this moment endlessly, but now that you were here, sitting opposite him, your mind was going blank.

"You have questions?" He said in an attempt to finish your sentence, and you instantly nodded in agreement, thankful that he had understood you, "Ask away."

"Why me." You asked, and you watched as his face twitched slightly, as though he was trying to conceal his genuine reaction to your question. Then, finally, he leant back in his chair and took a deep breath before answering.

"Y/N I-I told you this last week, I-" He started answering, but he didn't get to finish his sentence before you interrupted him. Although truth be told, you couldn't handle the 'I believe in you' spiel all over again, you wanted real answers, and you were going to get them.

"- See a lot of potential in me, yes I know but there's so many people in that class that are smarter than me and you could've helped any one of them. Why did you choose me?" You leant forward, closing the space he had created when he had moved away from you. Your elbows were placed against the table, your chin resting against the palm of your hand as a curious look took over your face.