chapter nineteen | can we stay like this

nineteen

nineteen

can we stay like this

"Odajima!"

The blond turned around, his face initially showing shock and confusion, but then morphing into the smile I knew and loved.

"Midori? God, I didn't realize you were back." He laughed as I practically launched myself at the boy, wrapping my arms around his neck

"I was only gone for like, a year!" I laughed "It's not like I ditched you or anything."

"I didn't ditch you! My dad got a promotion and I graduated early!" Odajima laughed, slinging an arm around my shoulder.

I looked back at Murayama, noting the displeased scowl on his face as he stared at Odajima and the other guy he was with. "What are you guys doing here?" Murayama frowned

"We aren't here to fight, Yoshiki." The other guy scowled. "As I recall, Housen and Oya settled all debts."

"Sorry." I interrupted the two boys as they moved to stand nose-to-nose, indication that a fight was likely to start "Can somebody fill me in on what's happening here?"

"Sachio Ueda." Odajima's friend introduced himself. "Leader of Housen. A few months ago, Housen and Oya had a small... disagreement."

Murayama snorted "That's a pretty big understatement, Ueda."

"Enough about that." Sachio scoffed "Who are you?"

"My girlfriend." Murayama said at the same time I introduced myself.

"Midori Yamada. I went to Sato with Odajima."

I pulled my phone out of my back pocket, scrolling back through my photo library before landing on a familiar picture. With a smile, I tapped on the square before showing the screen to Sachio, Odajima and Murayama. In the picture, Odajima and I sat on the leather couch in our crew's little hiding spot, Shuntaro on my other side trying to play cards with Tatsumi. I had a huge smile on my face as I dragged a paintbrush across his pale arm, a brief foray of mine into tattoo art. I was too scared to make anything permanent, so I settled for frequently using acrylic or watercolor on skin.

"Oh my god." Sachio laughed "Look at your hair!"

Odajima rolled his eyes "Shut up. We don't talk about that. Everybody had the half-mullet thing going on back then."

"It was 2009, not 1986." Murayama snickered

"Fine." Odajima huffed "If Midori can embarrass me with my regrettable hair cut, I get to tell you both about the first time she got drunk."

My face paled as I realized what Odajima was about to do. "Odajima Yuken, I swear to god-"

"It was the summer of 2010, we were eighteen years old." Odajima grinned "And I knew a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy who went to Surzuran."