"There are entrances all through the mundane world"

"You just have to know where to look," Meliorn says.

"Why did we have to come here to find my father?"

"Because of your necklace. It's a Portal shard" Meliorn says.

"Tell us something we don't know"

"How does it work?" Meliorn asks.

"When I touch the crystal and I think of someone, I can see where they are," Clary says.

"I'm curious, Shadowhunter, who knows so much about Portals, did you never wonder why this Portal shard doesn't behave the way normal Portals do?"

Davina looks at Jace who looks slightly stumped.

"Normal Portals can only take you to places you've been. I guess I never really thought about it"

"I see Isabelle is the smart one in the family. Your Portal shard works the way it does because it's a piece of a Portal from another dimension"

"Another dimension?"

"You're saying there's a Portal in some other universe that can take us to anyone if we just think of them?" Davina asks.

"If you can find the only Portal still standing in that dimension, it will take you to your father," Meliorn says.

"These trees are where the alternate dimensions intersect the Seelie realm," Meliorn says.

"How is it possible that the Clave doesn't know about your dimensional doorways?" Jace asks.

"They are our most guarded secret. We are their protectors. Only Seelies know of their existence"

"Then why are you telling us?"

"I owe you a life debt, and I don't like being indebted to anyone. And Davina is the princess, she would have learned about them eventually"

They've arrived at the alternate dimension entrance.

"What would happen if-"

"If the Seelie Queen finds out I've shared this with you? I could be executed"

"Well, we'll be extra careful then," Jace says.

"There's no "we" in this scenario. Only Clary and Davina go in to find the Portal. My debt is to them"

"You've given us no reason to trust you, Seelie" Jace says.

"He brought us here"

Meliorn is preparing the entrance to the alternate dimension.

"I knew the Seelies were one with nature, but-" Davina says.

"This will establish a connection to the other dimension," Meliorn says. "You will learn how to do this in time"

"What's it like? The other dimension. Is it like this one?" Clary asks.

"It is but it isn't," Meliorn says.

"Could you be more vague?" Jace asks.

"It is an alternate timeline, in a sense. There, Shadowhunters and demons no longer exist"

"What?"

"And Downworlders have conformed to the mundane way of life to avoid detection"

"What happened to the Shadowhunters?" Davina asks.

"Their services were no longer required, because they won the war against the demons, centuries ago. Once they sealed the rifts between their worlds, their culture faded away. Once you arrive in the alternate dimension, you will assume the bodies of the Clary and Davina in that world. You will think and feel just like them"

"But I'll still know I'm me, right? I'll know I have to find the Portal?"

"There's a catch. With Seelies, there's always a catch" Jace says.

"Your alternate self could consume you if you let it," Meliorn says.

"Is there a way to not let it?"

"Focus on the differences between that world and ours. Find something or someone to keep you grounded to this one"

"Easy enough"

"It will be more difficult than you think. If you don't hurry, you could cease to be this world's Clary Fairchild and Davina Fae"

"And be stuck in that world forever"

Meliorn nods.