(IX) Fire

I'm not sure how good of an idea it was to attend a play about our own lives, but honestly, we don't have anything better to do other than worry about the impending war at this point. Besides, I'd do anything just to get Sokka to shut up every once in a while.

The theater is surprisingly filled. We decide to take a seat at the back, as to avoid any possible attention. Especially when the play is about us.

"Why are we sitting in the nosebleed section? My feet can't see a thing from up here!"

"Something tells me you and your feet won't be missing much, Toph," I assure her, as the lights dim and the curtains open on stage.

The scene reveals a set that resembles the South Pole's cold seas, the very place I first met Aang, Sokka and Katara at. There's two actors who resemble both Sokka and Katara rowing a boat along the water.

"Sokka, my only brother! We constantly roam these icy South Pole seas, and yet never do we find anything fulfilling!" Actress Katara says.

"All I want is a full feeling in my stomach! I'm starving!"  Actor Sokka says, surprisingly making the audience laugh at his bad joke.

"Is food the only thing on your mind?" Actress Katara asks.

"Well, I'm trying to it get out of my mind and into my mouth! I'm starving!" Actor Sokka says, once again, making me cringe at his terrible humor.

"This is pathetic! My jokes are way funnier than this!" Real Sokka complains.

Honestly, he's right about that.

"Every day, the world awaits a beacon to guide us, yet none appears!  Still, we cannot give up hope! For hope, is all we have!" At this point, Actress Katara begins to sob on stage. "And we must never relinquish it, even... even to our dying breath!"

"Well, that's just silly. I don't sound like that," Katara complains.

I hear Toph giggle, while I can't help but grin. "Well, you do give a lot of speeches, Katara."

"Oh man! This writer's a genius!" Toph says with a laugh.

Suddenly, a prop made to look like an iceberg appears on stage, in it, the silhouette of a certain boy with an arrow on his head. Actors Sokka and Katara look back at it with surprised gasps.

"It appears to be someone frozen in ice, perhaps for a hundred years," Actress Katara reveals.

"But who? Who is the boy in the iceberg?" Actor Sokka questions.

"Waterbend! Hi-yah!" Actress Katara says, doing some hand motions and causing the orb in the prop to crack, as another actor pops onto the scene.

It takes me two seconds to realize what's wrong here. The person meant to portray Aang almost got every detail right; except for the evident fact that they're a girl. I personally don't see anything wrong with this, but I already know who will.

"Oh, boy," Katara mutters.

"Don't you mean, 'oh, girl'?" I retort in a whisper, making her roll her eyes.

"Who are you, frozen boy?" Actress Katara asks.

"I'm the Avatar, silly, here to spread joy and fun!" Actress Aang replies joyfully.

"Wait, is that a woman playing me?" Aang suddenly complains, while a makeshift—and rather terrifying—prop version of Appa appears from behind the actors.

"An airbender! My heart is so full of hope, that it's making me tearbend!" Once again, Actress Katara starts sobbing.

"My stomach is so empty, that it's making me tearbend! I need meat!" Actor Sokka says, once again, pulling a terrible joke.