(VIII) Earth

"I need to borrow Appa," Katara declares, while Aang and I are trying to feed him.

I raise an eyebrow. "Borrow Appa? Are you going on a fishing trip with Zuko, too?"

"Yes."

"What's going on?" Aang asks her, probably as confused as I am.

Not twelve hours ago, she couldn't stand the sight of him. Now she's going on some secret mission with him?

"We're going to find the man who took my mother from me," Katara explains.

"Sokka told me the story of what happened. I know who did it and I know how to find him," Zuko adds.

"Um... and what exactly do you think this will accomplish?" Aang questions, and to be honest, it's a fair question. Finding the man is one thing, but what does she intend to do once she's there?

"Ugh, I knew you wouldn't understand," Katara scoffs, she stomps away angrily.

"Wait! Stop! I do understand. You're feeling unbelievable pain and rage. How do think I felt about the sandbenders when they stole Appa? How do you think I felt about the Fire Nation when I found out what happened to my people?" Aang retorts.

"She needs this, Aang. This is about getting closure and justice," Zuko defends Katara calmly.

"No, Zuko. This is about getting revenge," I tell him, shaking my head. "Katara, you know better than that."

"So what if it is?! Maybe that's what I need! Maybe that's what he deserves!" Katara yells back at me angrily.

"Katara, you sound like Jet," Aang warns.

"It's not the same! Jet attacked the innocent. This man, he's a monster," Katara retorts back.

"Katara, she was my mother, too, but I think Aang and Alya might be right," Sokka intercedes, attempting to ease her anger.

"Then you didn't love her the way I did!"

"Katara!" Sokka says, evidently hurt.

"The monks used to say that revenge is like a two-headed rat viper. While you watch your enemy go down, you're being poisoned yourself," Aang tells her calmly.

"That's cute, but this isn't air temple preschool. It's the real world," Zuko says.

"Now that I know he's out there... now that I know we can find him, I feel like I have no choice," Katara admits with a sigh.

"We always have a choice, Katara. That man made his a long time ago. It's your turn to make yours: and you can choose to forgive," I tell her, but she glares at me angrily.

"You don't know how it feels! You got your mother back!"

"Yeah, right after I learned that my father died in the same war that killed my entire culture, Katara."

"Forgiveness is the same as doing nothing!" Zuko retorts.

"No, it's not. It's easy to do nothing, but it's hard to forgive," Aang replies calmly.

"It's not just hard, it's impossible," Katara snaps, stomping away angrily.

***

The rest of the day is even more awkward. Katara doesn't speak to any of us, not even Toph. Clearly, she's still thinking about her revenge. Sokka suggests we keep an eye on her, even after we all go to sleep. I find it hard to believe that that's necessary at first, well, that is, until we find her waking up in the middle of the night, Zuko as well, in what I would call a secret mission attire.