3: An Uncertain Path

Start from the beginning

I proceeded to a room and Emma followed. I shut the door before looking at her. She is not wavering. Good, my plan's working. I took out a pendant that was underneath my shirt and unhooked it. It was a pendant with an eye.

I put it around her neck before hooking it,
"Keep this with you. It will be helpful. Don't tell anyone about it though."

She parted her lips to say something but closed them and nodded instead.

I exited the door and walked out. Both Norman and Ray had left the room so I headed outside. The moment I opened the door and took a left, something or rather someone grabbed my wrist. I needn't even turn around to know who it was. Ray.

"Y/n." For some reason, whenever he calls my name it gives me this giddy feeling. It feels so different coming from him.

"You said you will answer my questions. Now, tell me, why have you turned so cold? You are plotting something else, right?" he paused.

My eyes widened at how fast he was able to catch up. But I didn't underestimate him. Nor is my resolve so weak. Everything, everything, just for you and the others. Just so you and the others can survive even if I don't.

I regained my composure and turned my head around to give him a glare,
"'Shut up.' is that not what you used to say?"

Third Person POV

In that moment, Ray remembered all the times he marked rude comments at the girl. From, 'shut up.' to 'you are so annoying' to 'can you stop irritating me?'. But he never thought that the girl would take it to heart, considering her cheery personality.

But she changed.

'She took it all to heart. She didn't neglect it. She didn't deserve it. She deserved so much better'. That's what Ray thought.

There was a key to know Y/n. Her eyes. Forget about her smile or frown. Look into her eyes and you will know how she feels. And right then and there, if there was anything in her orbs, it was dejection. Nothing but absolute dejection and helpessness. The two had made countless memories together and never once, had Ray seen that look in her eyes.

Y/n yanked her hand back before trotting away while Ray stared at her back. He clenched his fists in anger and guilt as he furrowed his eyebrows at the ground. He felt bad for treating her like that. For letting her go that day. Yet he didn't want to give up. He never would. He would stick to her always no matter how much she pushed him away. Just like Y/n did back then.

~Flashback~

A 10 year old Y/n slowly opened the door of the library and tip-toed her way inside. She looked around cautiously. She glanced at the corner of the library to see the attic door open. She giggled silently to herself before she headed towards the ladder.
She quickly climbed up and crawled behind the door of the attic.

She took in a deep breath before yelling,
"Boooo!"

She had her hands up in the air in a capturing manner as she gazed at Ray who looked unfazed and continued to read his book.

She pouted before making her way inside the attic. The attic wasn't plenty big. But it was spacious enough to fit a maximum of three kids. It was Ray's secret hideout that Y/n once stumbled upon and discovered.

It had a blanket laid on the bottom to make it comfortable and another one that Ray used when he decided to sleep there. He also had a few pillows and cushions along with a lantern. At the corner were two stacks of books. The one on the left, were books that he was yet to read and on the right were books he already read.