Chapter 4

In the morning, Cristina and Izzie were both informed about what happened and demanded to see Meredith.

"Oh my god." Izzie muttered as she saw one of her best friends lifeless form on the bed. Cristina grabbed her chart and thumbed through it. "Damn." Cristina murmured. "When will she wake up?" Izzie asked Bailey. "We don't know stevens. She's been through a lot." She replied.

"What is he doing here? Shouldn't he be with his little nurse?" Cristina asked. "Cristina, even an idiot could see that Derek loves her. And it's scary when someone you love is hurt. He broke up with the nurse. Let him be."  Izzie said sternly.

Cristina scoffed but let it go. "Roll me to her bed please." Izzie requested. "Me too." Cristina added. They were both moved and grabbed Merediths hand. "She saved our lives." Izzie said quietly, tears forming in her eyes. "Yeah." Cristina agreed. "She'll be okay. She's Meredith." She said.

Izzie and Cristina were brought back to their rooms to sleep, while Derek woke up. "Any changes?" He asked sleepily as he saw Bailey, Hahn and Richard assessing Meredith. "Everything seems okay. She just needs to wake up now." Bailey replied.

"Everything's fine though? She's okay?" Derek asked worriedly. "Derek, everything looks good. Heart beat sounds good, as do her lungs. She'll be okay." Erica said softly. Derek nodded and swallowed nervously as he looked at his battered ex girlfriend.

"What time is it?" Derek asked. "10." Richard replied. "Oh crap!" He exclaimed. "Calm down Shepherd. You're off today." Richard said. "Oh. Thanks." Derek replied.

A few hours later, Derek was still in Merediths room when she started to wake up. At first, she moved her fingers up his hands and he looked up. "Meredith?" He asked. She slowly opened her eyes and looked at Derek. "Hey. You're okay." He said softly as he subtlety paged Hahn, Richard, and Bailey.

Meredith blinked once and looked around. She knew she was in the ICU almost immediately. "Ah, Meredith. Welcome back." Erica said with a smile as she and the others walked in. Meredith weakly motioned to the tube in her mouth and looked around. "Let me check your lungs and heart real quick." Hahn said as she pressed her stethoscope to Merediths chest.

"Sounds good. Let's prep for extubation." Erica said. A nurse prepped and Hahn began. "Cough for me." She instructed. Meredith did so and the tube flew out. Merediths one cough turned into many, her chest burning.

By the time she was done, tears were forming in her eyes as Bailey gently eased her back into the pillows. "Wha-" Meredith tried to say, her voice very dry. Derek held up cup of water with a straw and she gratefully sipped the liquid. "What's...what happened?" Meredith whispered, her chest still painfully throbbing.

"You remember what happened?" Richard asked. Meredith nodded weakly. "You had a cardiac tamponade after. We had to go in." Erica explained. "Tamponade?" Meredith asked in shock. She nodded. "What about...Cristina and izzie?" Meredith asked, alarmed. "They're both fine. They were in here earlier." Bailey explained.

"What...are you...doing in here?" Meredith asked as she turned to Derek. Derek gulped and looked to the others. "We'll be back soon Grey. Shepherd, don't be a jackass." Bailey warned as she ushered the two others out of the room.

Derek turned back to Mer, who had a confused and hurt expression on her face. "Shouldn't you be...with rose?" Meredith asked. It hurt her to say that name. "No. I don't love her Meredith. I cut it off. I love you." Derek said softly.

"Yeah....you said that before." Meredith said sternly. "Mer...I love you. I've made a lot of mistakes in the past, but loving you has never been one. And it's never gone away. I've loved you forever." Derek tried again. "Get out." Meredith said. "What?" Derek asked in shock. "Get...out!" Meredith said louder. "Mer..." Derek trailed off. "Get out!" Meredith yelled, her blood pressure rising, as indicted by the alarms.

Bailey, Richard, and Erica quickly came in. "Get out Derek." Erica said. Derek quickly left the room. "Calm down Meredith. It's okay. He's gone." Bailey said softly as she once again laid her back into the pillows and gently out an oxygen mask on her face. "Hurts." Meredith cried. "Pain meds are coming. Don't worry." Richard said quietly.

"We'll keep him out, okay? Don't worry about him." Erica said softly. Meredith nodded sleepily as the nurse pushed the meds into her iv. "Go to sleep Meredith." Bailey whispered as Meredith fell into a deep sleep.

They stepped out of her room and saw Derek in the hallway. "What did we tell you?" Erica asked angrily. "I didn't mean to. I don't know what happened." Derek replied guiltily. "She told you to get out. She can't get worked up right now. She just had a major heart surgery." Hahn replied sternly. "I didn't mean to." Derek repeated quietly. "I don't care. You aren't to go in there unless we tell you you can, got it?" Erica asked. Derek nodded sadly and watched as she stormed off.

"Don't push it Derek. She doesn't need anymore hurt." Bailey said. "I love her." Derek whispered. "Prove it, when she allows you too." Bailey replied.

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! Meredith wasn't happy with Derek, but don't worry about that too much. Hope your all doing well!