Getting Answers

Sophie's Pov

I trudge up the stairs clinging onto one of Jolie's arms harder than necessary, my nails digging into her skin. I keep my gaze set straight ahead of me because I know if I look at her I will break down. The best way to stay strong is to bury your emotions so far into your stomach that they don't exist. Of course that never really works, I learned that the hard way. We march up the stairs in a perfect line. Jolie stumbles trying to keep up with us. We reach the door to my room and Forkle lets me go in first to talk to Vertina. I step into my room and walk into the mirror's sight of vision.

"Sophie, you don't look half as bad as you normally do," Vertina smiles sweetly.

I smile back coldly, "Thank you. So you know how you were talking about talking to Jolie again?"

The face nods and I continue, "Well, I was able to pull some strings and she is outside. If it's alright I have a few questions that I would like you to ask her?"

"Yes?"

"Okay, well first, why did she do what she did? What were her long-term goals with changing Keefe into some monster? And what were her deals with Lady Gisela?"

"Will do," the mirror lowers her head. "I don't know what she will say though, we haven't spoken in years."

I look at her with tears in my eyes, "Well, thank you for trying at least."

Forkle stands silently in the hall with Jolie, I open the door wider and they both step into my room. Forkle and I discussed the plans beforehand. Jolie will stay in the room with Forkle and Vertina while I am out in the halls listening in on Jolie's thoughts. The two people close the door and I focus my mind on Jolie's thoughts.

(A/N Italic: Jolie's point of view while Sophie is reading her thoughts Bold and Italic: Jolie's thoughts)

A familiar mirror moves into her line of sight and she gasps quietly as memories flood to the front of her mind. Memories of giggling as the mirror instruct her how to braid her hair, talking to her about boys and studies and how strict her parents are.

"Hello, Jolie," Vertina sighs.

"Vertina, how have you been?"

The mirror's face softens, "What happened to you, honey? You used to be so happy, so sweet, so concerned for another's well-being. What turned you into this, this monster?"

"You think I wanted to become this? Do you think I wanted to have my whole family hate me? Even my little sister? I never wanted this," Jolie protests.

"Then why? Why did you do the things you did?"

Because I had to because it was the only way to get Mom and Dad to notice me again, to make them remember me, to make everyone remember me.

"I don't know Vertina."

The mirror's face squints at her, "What were your plans? I know you have them."

Jolie glances around the room and sees Forkle, "Fine, Gisela and I had a deal to repair the relationship between the humans and the elves. We thought that if we created a super elf of sorts in order to set up a program where we pair an elf with a human."

I gasp and cover my mouth as tears fill my eyes. I lean up against the wall and slide down to a sitting position.

"So you intended to use this poor boy at your disposal? What if the human government got him? Do you have any idea what they would do to him?" Vertina says.

Obviously, we knew the risks, but isn't it all for the greater good of all of us? To have humans and elves coexist again?

"We had a plan, and it would have worked if that stupid boy hadn't stepped in the way!"

That's when I couldn't control myself anymore. I throw the door open and tackle my adoptive older sister putting her in a chokehold. I put my face by her ear and whisper to her.

"You lousy no good psycho. That 'stupid boy' died that night, he happened to be my best friend. He was sacrificing himself for the greater good!"

Jolie growls, "That boy took his life for nothing! Keefe would have survived and so would he if he hadn't stepped in."

I shove her head to the floor and Forkle rushes over trying to pull me off of her, "Sophie stop. STOP! If you hurt her then you are just as bad as she is."

I release my hold on her and let out a sob. I stand up and Forkle nods to me, he will take care of her. I sprint out of the room and into Keefe's room hoping to find him. He isn't in there but I'm too tired to do anything. I get underneath his covers and bury my face in his pillows taking a deep breath in of his scent. A familiar smell of ax body spray and pencil shavings fills my nose. Tears slip down my face and I think about all the things I did wrong. How could I have lost control so easily? How could I have let myself get so overwhelmed I stooped down to her level? A wave of fatigue washes over me and I let myself drift off.

Sorry for not updating for so long!

~Lacy <3