Chapter 1

I stumbled down the corridor, trying to avoid other people. My eyes were trained on the spotted tile of the school hallway as I shoved through a group of three of four students. "Hey, watch it!" one shouted after me, but I was long gone before she could see who I was.

That was just how it worked around here. I was used to melting into the shadows, staying away from other students. I didn't have any friends in the school, but that was a good thing, right? No friends meant no one to betray me. No one to abandon me. Because that was the inevitable outcome of any and all relationships.

And I wasn't lonely, because I didn't want any friendships in the first place.

My purple hoodie went unnoticed in the sea of color. I continued onward, getting jostled on all sides as I tried to make my way to class. The narrow passageway was becoming more and more vacant by the second, and I knew I was going to be late. A splitting headache exploded in my head as I thought about all those eyes that would inevitably turn to stare at me. All those judgemental gazes.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

I cursed quietly. I was officially late. Just a few seconds later, I arrived at the door to my class. No one was in the hall anymore, so I took a second to try to prepare myself for the personal hell I was about to face. I squeezed my eyes shut and rubbed my temples. I twisted my hands together, my anxiety spiking. I can't do this, I can't do this, I can't do this.... but then, suddenly, I heard footsteps.

And my choices were no longer choices. I yanked the door handle down and shoved my way into the class, crossing my arms and letting my dirty blonde hair fall in front of my eyes. Anyone looking closely would have seen the way I shrunk in on myself, trying to be as small and unnoticeable as possible.

Unfortunately, that wasn't an option. "Purpled!" my teacher called out. "You're late!" I squeezed my eyes shut, cussing silently. I knew Mr. Minecraft was not a rude person. In fact, he usually went out of his way to ensure that his students were doing well. He, along with another teacher and our School Councillor, he had a reputation for establishing the best relationships with his students. 

And yet, he couldn't seem to comprehend the concept of social anxiety.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Minecraft. It won't happen again," I mumbled to him, rushing to my seat at the back of the class. I could feel their eyes on me, some of my classmates noticing me for the first time.

I knew what they were thinking.

Who's that kid?

He's weird.

Is he really this late to class? What a loser.

I slid into my seat, immediately making myself as small as possible. It didn't matter what they thought now, they would all forget about me soon, anyway. I would disappear one more. They might remember a day when someone was late to class, but they wouldn't remember who that student was or what they looked like.

And that was the way I wanted it to be. I allowed myself a minute to regain my composure, taking a deep breath and rubbing my temples for the third time that day.

It only took a few minutes for me to start ignoring the lesson and to be lost deep in my thoughts. I knew what was happening today. It could either be the downfall or breakthrough of my career. No - not just my career. Losing could mean the end of my short and pitiful existence. 

I took a shuddering breath, trying to focus on the lesson once more to take my mind off of my worries and anxiety. 

".... The scientific revolution was one of the few revolutions that did not have to do with war, but  was still a major event in our history. Now, a long time ago, the scientific method hadn't been invented. This meant that pretty much everything that made sense... was considered fact. Back then, people didn't need proof that something was correct or real. They just believed it!"