Chapter 2

Jay rolled another joint while we had two in rotation. I just passed one to Tom when Des passed me another. This was my cohesive friend group. I didn't mind. Despite us all being at different stages in life. Tom became a professor. Des works at a nonprofit. And Jay still works at the bookstore.

We were gathered in Tom's apartment with a balcony that allowed for excellent views and ventilation.

"Did Lucia tell you Cillian's coming back," Des muttered?

Tom shot forward. "No!"

I covered my face in disbelief. Tom waved his joint like a cigarette.

"Lucia!" He kicked me. Ouch.

"What?"

"Why didn't you tell us?" Jay was unbothered blowing O's into the air.

"Is he still married?" Jay asked?

"Yeah he is," I muttered.

"Are you going to meet him?"

"Yes! He called her to meet her!" She squealed.

"Let her speak!" He shushed everyone.

"He's coming and I'm going to meet him."

Tom waved his hand asking for more.

"Is that all? How do you feel? You haven't spoken to him in what?"

"Five years." I did the math. 

"Is this the married guy you were fucking?" Jay asked.

"Yup!" Des enthusiastically said to my embarrassment.

This is too embarrassing.

"He wasn't married when I was fucking him!" I interjected. "He was in a relationship with her and she was cheating too. We only had sex twice anyways."

"Twice? Oh, that's not so bad," Jay shrugged.

"Well I think this is it! You guys weren't meant to be then but now is the time. The way he's coming back to you!" Des optimistically said!

"No, no. He's not coming back to me. He's working here. He just wants to catch up."

"I don't know. You guys were really intense," Tom mentioned.

"Remember when she came back from Ireland? Ughh." Des and Tom entered a groaning match over that prior heartbreak and how sulky I was.

"You guys are over romanticizing all of this," I said cutting them off.

Things I say when over romanticizing is all I do.

Des and Tom got serious.

"Sorry girl, I just thought this would be good."

She came to my shoulder to hold it.

"Yeah we didn't mean to push that on you. We know how hard it was to get over him."

"It's okay guys I'm not a kid anymore. I can see him and it doesn't have to be a big deal. We shouldn't be making it one.

Jay examined the joint in wonder. He slowly turned to me.

"Well what do you want?"