"You see something as broken and feel the need to fix it," he derided. "Well I'm not broken, Greene. I'm fucking exhausted, but I'm not broken. So whatever you think you're going to achieve, let me help you enjoy disappointment."

She stared at him, impassively.

"Is that such a bad thing?" she asked, her tone contemptuous. "To have a saviour complex."

"For your sake—yes."

"Not if I want to help people. It's not about fixing them, but simply about wanting to be there, so they know someone cares. So they feel valid and wanted. So they know that no matter what it is they may have done, they have a chance of redeeming their wrongdoings."

"You'll only end up tearing yourself apart in the process," he scoffed.

"And maybe that's a risk I'm willing to take."

His expression flashed, frustration and fury now writhing behind his features.

"No. No. Don't be fucking ridiculous," he spat, a scowl plastering upon his face. "I will not let you put everything on the line just because of some stupid hope you have for some pointless redemption arc."

"That's not your decision to make," she said. "And I would not be putting everything on the line, don't be dramatic. It's hardly life threatening wanting to help somebody."

"It is when it's me you feel the need to help," he scowled. "I don't want you getting involved in this, Greene. I won't allow it."

She let out an abrupt laugh, leading her to receive a harrowing glare from him.

"You cannot decide everything I do. God, your constant need to be in control of everything is exhausting. Why do you do it?"

His eyes flashed.

"Because I'm trying to fucking protect you!" he yelled. "To keep you away from it all, but your stubbornness to get involved makes things so much more difficult. There are things I've seen, that I've experienced, that I never want to happen to you."

He hesitated before continuing.

"I know about your father."

A terrible shock pierced and froze through her body.

"What?" she panicked, barely even choking out the word.

"Please—don't worry. I've known for a while now. Don't you think I would have sold you out already if I'd wanted to."

"How?"

"After I found his file in the detention, your reaction had me suspecting. I went back later on and grabbed the file, did some research. I walked to Hogsmeade and apparated to the Manor. I searched through my father's study and found documents, letters, photographs. Eventually I put two and two together. Congratulations, you're a Rivière," his tone had traded for a sarcastic one.

She stared at him, dumbfoundedly.

"But do you see why I can't just abandon you. This information about him only intensifies the situation. It puts you at more risk, in harms way. Were you ever planning on telling me?"

"Of course not. Do you really think I'd be that reckless?" she sighed.

"Clearly, if you're keeping such vital information from me. How am I supposed to protect your secret if I don't know what it is? How can I protect you?"

"I was being careful. You never know who you can trust," she argued.

"You can trust me, Greene."