Chapter 39

Yu Lin and Feng Li looked at each other. Then, both of them summoned a talisman and put it on themselves. Soon, they morphed into the body of Chen Ye and Zou Fang, Jin Ling's assistants 5 years ago. Yu Lin and Feng Li never truly existed in heaven, but they were fake subordinates of Chen Ye and Zou Fang.

"Your highness" Zou Fang bowed.

"Sect Leader." Chen Ye followed.

"You guys are really bad at hiding secrets." Jin Ling smiled, pointing at Chen Ye and Zou Fang. "Right as you came into my temple, I knew who you were. Besides you guys, who is going to voluntarily come help me? Ha! No one!"

"Whatever, just because we've been found doesn't mean the mission doesn't continue." Zou Fang said.

"Agreed." Jin Ling replied. "Let us continue."

Once again, Jin Ling lifted the pouch and waited for it to react. Immediately, it reacted towards the northeast. The crew began walking in that direction anyways. Suddenly, they heard a loud roar in the distance. Chen Ye quickly summoned a Flame Talisman and threw it towards the sound. The talisman brightened the surroundings as it flew. Suddenly, it exploded. The roar in the distance became louder.

"What the-" Chen Ye said. "Flame Talismans aren't supposed to explode!"

"Let me try." Zou Fang said, throwing his own talisman. 

Again, the talisman flew through the forest. The same outcome happened. It exploded.

"There's only one way for a flame talisman to explode." Jin Ling explained. "If a high-level fierce corpse caught it, and absorbed all the energy."

Chen Ye and Zou Fang immediately unsheathed their swords and jumped onto the tree branches. Both of them were scanning the area. Suddenly, the fierce corpse started walking faster and faster. Soon, the fierce corpse became visible. It was a giant, almost almost 15 feet tall. Its resentful energy flowed in and out of it.

Chen Ye and Zou Fang both jumped from the branches and attacked the fierce ghost. However, the fierce corpse easily hit the tree and disorientated Chen Ye and Zou Fang. The two reestablished themselves and landed on the ground. Meanwhile, Jin Ling threw an Explosion Talisman against the corpse. Upon impact, the talisman exploded and slightly annoyed the corpse. Then, Jin Ling unsheathed Suihua and ran towards the fierce corpse. 

The fierce corpse had not hesitation to kill. It lunged its arm towards Jin Ling, grabbing him in the process. Jin Ling was trapped in the corpse's hand. The corpse then lifted his arm into the sky

"Your highness!" Chen Ye yelled.

"Chen Ye and Zou Fang!" Jin Ling yelled. "Go back to heaven and get reinforcements!"

"But, your highness! What about you?" Zou Fang yelled.

"Don't worry about me, I can hold it off for now." Jin Ling yelled.

Chen Ye and Zou Fang looked at each other, and agreed. They both summoned a Recall Talisman and teleported back into heaven. Jin Ling was trying to fight the corpse's grip, but its resentful energy only squeezed Jin Ling more.

Suddenly, a sharp bamboo flute sound filled the empty night.