the entropy of life

Mulai dari awal

Juliette tries her best to talk herself down from the ledge, explaining her conversations with Rossi about what he would want and how happy she's been, but she still ends up frustrated with herself for thinking it would be easy.

Like other years, she shares how she's managed to do something she never thought she would do again and little things that happened to her that she's been aching to tell him, showing herself how far she's come when it feels too difficult.

She also spends a lot of time in silence, lost in thought or mesmerized by the trees swaying around her. It's what makes the trip feel rejuvenating, because her phone turned off means she has a break from the entropy of life.

She says her goodbyes when the sun starts to set, but instead of driving home through the night like the years prior, she checks in to her room at the only hotel in the city and staying awake into her birthday.

Like most holidays, her birthday was something she didn't really celebrate until she met Griffin, and not something she's celebrated since he passed. Although it's not something she's willing to share with anyone else yet, she does have plans this year.

Juliette called one of her sister-in-laws just before Erin's funeral, asking if she could visit while she's in town. Of course they agreed, so now she's waking up early and dressing in jeans reminiscent of her past life.

Thankful that no one remembered the date, she runs around with her nieces and nephews until they're too tired to move. Through the afternoon, she enjoys her favorite Italian cooking and catching up with the people she used to consider siblings.

x

Though she had a lengthy drive the night before, Juliette arrives at the BAU much earlier than usual to work on the Replicator report and put that case behind her. Those plans are delayed when she enters the empty bullpen to find Aaron's office light still on, blinds uncharacteristically closed.

She knocks on the door to find him hunched over his desk, mountains of paperwork complementing his deepened eye bags. "Were you here all night?" Juliette asks, her face a mix of concern and bemusement.

"I'm taking on Erin's workload until they can find a replacement." He says, his voice matching how he looks.

"That doesn't mean work yourself to death." She scolds, holding out her hand for a file before settling on his couch.

Reminiscent of months prior, they only stop writing to refill their coffee, although this time a kiss is also exchanged during transitions.

Almost an hour passes before Aaron speaks, but Juliette can tell he's been mulling it over for awhile. "I got an email from the Brass, I'm in the running for Erin's position."

Juliette's not surprised by this, but it doesn't make the idea of him leaving any easier. "Are you interested in taking it?"

He shrugs. "It would mean less hours, more time with Jack... but I can't imagine leaving the field."

"I get it." She smiles bittersweetly. "I'll support you in any decision you make."

"Thank you." He smiles back, guiding her jaw down for a kiss when she stands to exchange files. They're interrupted by Garcia, grinning and humming "awwww."

When the couple peer up to her with looks of pure annoyance, she quickly gets down to business. "Glendale has another body, they're asking for our help."

"Tell them we're on our way." Aaron nods, waiting until she's down the hallway to peck Juliette on the cheek.

Arizona's murders are odd in every sense. They fly in because of a series of women posed in prayer positions after being shot in the heart, but Spencer's praying mantis theory is nowhere near anything anyone in the BAU has ever seen.

Two sleepless nights lead the team from near-death experiences to arresting the UnSub, to then learning they've arrested his estranged twin brother. It's a shocking turn of events for even the most experienced profiler, especially when their warm and cozy jet was about to take off.

Two more death, including the estranged twin, lead to a huge victory in FBI history, with every member of the BAU receiving national praise. But fielding phone calls from Quantico lead them to the jet once again, where Juliette sits against Aaron with Morgan and Rossi across the table.

"Hey— Garcia says we're trending on Twitter." Derek smiles, holding up his phone for the cabin to see.

The rest of the team celebrates their glory with smiles, but Juliette can't help but think back to the last time she received this much internet attention and requests for interviews; when a member of the State Department was pronounced dead with no other information.

Griffin was known for his outspoken views, and Juliette even enjoyed social media before his death. But strangers prying for information that she wouldn't even like to know has felt gross ever since, so she simply raises her eyebrows before leaning into Aaron's arm and hoping her sleep comes uninterrupted this time.

x

Juliette stirs from the jostle of the plane landing, surprised by how long she slept. She sits up to see two sets of eyes on her, a cheeky grin from Morgan and a lighter, more satisfied one from Rossi. Looking away to avoid any comments, she looks up to Aaron. "Why didn't you wake me up sooner?"

He shrugs, "You needed the sleep."

She smiles, glancing down to the files still in front of him, but waits until they're back in his office to confront him. "When was the last time you took a break from the paperwork?"

"Now, because soon it will someone else's problem." He stands from his desk, smiling. "I got a call from the Brass today, they're so pleased with my work in Arizona that they've unfortunately rescinded their offer for Section Chief."

Juliette can't hide her smile, standing to meet Aaron in a kiss. Wrapping her arms around his waist, she looks up to meet his eyes. "Are you alright with this?"

He nods, "I'm meant to be here, at least for now."

Content with that answer, she laces their hands together as they finally leave his office

emily's notes;
i just wanted to say thank
you sooo much for all of
your votes, comments, and
support on this. It means
so much and is incredibly
encouraging to finish this
story.