Thirty-Five & Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

“What you reckon?” Joe asked as we stood and inspected the track. It was harder than the one I was used to running on, which meant that my shins would probably be sore after the race.

“Its going to be fast,” I said, “The tracks not that soft so we’ll be thundering along.”

“I think you’re right,” Joe said, “I want you to try something new tomorrow.”

“What?”

“Well, I normally have you speeding up with about 600 meters left of the 5000… But I want you to try to turn the gas on at 800 instead.”

“Really?” I questioned, frowning slightly as I thought about the effort it would entail.

“Yup, notch it up a bit at 800, and then again at 600, 400, 200… like you usually do. I think you’ll be flying on adrenaline by the end. This could be the make or break.”

“I guess I can try it out,” I mused, watching runners pass by on the track.

“That’s what we’re here for,” Joe said, “Now let’s get a few laps in!”

After a casual exercise on the track we headed back to the hotel for some food and to put our feet up.

*Buzz Buzz*

“Bet its lover boy,” Joe grinned as I grabbed my phone out.

“Shut up,” I laughed, seeing that it was in fact, Aston.

“Hey babe,” he said as I answered my mobile.

“How’re you?”

“Good yeah.”

“Tours going well?”

“So far so good,” he said, “How’s Norway?”

“Relaxed,” I said, “So far at least. I haven’t got any pre-race jitters going yet.”

“Ahhh don’t get nervous!”

“Nah nerves are good!” I replied, “Keeps my head in check a little bit.”

“You’ll be fine!” Aston told me, “If you want something you’ve just got to go and get it!”

“True,” I said, playing with the hem of my shirt. He had no idea that to me he was talking about more than just my race the next day.

We chatted for a bit longer before Aston said he had to go. “Anyways, I was just calling to say good luck tomorrow! Give me a ring when you’re back in London and tell me how it went!”

“Will do! Bye!”

“Bye babe, have fun!”

The next 24 hours passed in a blur. Race days were always manic, and I was booked to travel back to London after finishing up on the track. Between the two it was a long and tiring day. 

“Good job Jess!” Joe said to me as we finally arrived back at his and I went off to get in my car to make the final push for home.

“Thanks Joe,” I grinned. Norway had definitely been a success, and Joe’s suggestion of starting my finish 200 meters earlier had worked wonders for my race. Not only had I clocked my best time of the season, but I’d also definitively managed to get the win I’d been aiming for over the last few months. In fact, things in Norway couldn’t have gone better for me. I was happy to have the mental boost from putting a victory under my belt, my first win in almost four years!

Finally back home I slumped my way into my room and collapsed on my bed, exhausted from traveling. It was after 2am and I had an early training session scheduled with Joe the next day as a bit of a cool down from Norway.