Twenty-Five & Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

“You didn’t have to wait around,” I said.

“Its fine, I wanted to make sure you were ok,” he said.

“Why?”

“After the way you were this morning I thought something was off, just wanted to check and make sure it wasn’t anything to be worried about.”

“What? Did you think I was slipping back to how I was?” I challenged.

“No,” Aston replied, “Well, maybe a little… I’m sorry if it seems weird, you’ve just seemed a bit weird lately. Weirder than usual.”

“I’m fine,” I said firmly.

“Yup,” Aston replied, “Back to your normal argumentative self.”

“I’m not argumentative!”

“With me you are,” he smirked, unlocking his car so we could get in. I shoved my training bag down by my feet as he started the car up and eased it out of the car park.

I sat and stared out the window of the car, like I had on the way to the track, trying to figure out how to formulate the thought that was in my head into words. I really needed to get on with the task my Counselor had set before me.

“You’re quiet again,” Aston said after a few minutes.

“I’m thinking.”

“About what?” he pressed.

“You’re just going to keep asking aren’t you?”

“Haven’t you noticed that I’m incredibly persistent by now?” he smiled.

“Yes!”

“Now say it!”

“FINE!” I said rather loudly, before slapping my hand over my mouth. “You were right,” I said in a quieter tone.

“I was? About what?” Aston asked.

“About me being naïve and rigid and all of that,” I said.

“You did not just admit it?!” Aston said with a big grin on his face.

“I did, and I’m not going to again!” I said, looking down at my hands.

“That’s fine,” he replied, “So what? You’ll finally agree to go on a date with me?”

“No,” I said.

“But your birthday is this weekend! Won’t you let me at least buy you a meal as celebration? And don’t say you don’t go on dates, because this would be a birthday meal, not a date. You could invite Joe and his family…”

“Aston its nice of you, but I really don’t think so.”

“Why not?” he asked, just as the car pulled up at my house.

“I think you should just find someone else to chase after,” I said quietly, my insecurities bubbling up.

“I don’t want to though!” he said, unclipping his buckle and turning in his seat to face me.

“I’m just not ready for something like this,” I whispered, catching his eye briefly as I looked up from my hands.

“Will you ever be ready for something like this?” he asked me.

“I don’t know, maybe?” I shrugged.

“Jess, you know I can’t wait forever for you,” he said. “Why not live in the moment? Try something new out?”

“But you might have to wait forever,” I sighed, “I’m really not the kind of girl you need.”

“Why not?”