Thirteen & Fourteen

Start from the beginning

“Bye Jess,” Marvin said as I wandered out of the room down to the awaiting cab.

“Bye boys!” I echoed back, giving them a wave.

“See you tomorrow.”

“Yup!” I replied, heading out of the building and to my cab. As I sat in the cab I stared down at the wilted flowers sitting in my lap. Maybe I was being a bit harsh on Aston? No one had ever gone after me like he had, and honestly I just didn’t know how to react. I really didn’t have time for any sort of relationship, and I didn’t want him to think I was interested, but I couldn’t help feel a little bad for being so harsh on him. But then again, he brought it upon himself with his constant attempts to win my attention.

“What are those?” Joe laughed as he took in the flowers.

“Guess,” I sighed, passing them to him as he read the card.

“You know most girls would die to have a bouquet of flowers from JLS,” he said.

“They’re from Aston,” I told Joe, grabbing a glass from the kitchen and filling it up with water, “He just put JLS so I wouldn’t be cross with him. Marvin told me.”

“That poor kid… The number of times you’ve turned him down must seriously be wounding his pride.”

“It’s his fault,” I said, “He could have stopped after the first time I said no.”

“But he likes youuu,” Joe teased in a singsong voice, "And I'm beginning to think you don't mind the attention."

“Ughhh,” I sighed, sitting down at the dinner table where Kat and Stella were already sat. We had a nice meal together, as we always did. Joe and I mostly talked about how Japan had gone, obsessing over the race and who was running well this early in the season. And who wasn’t.

As it was pushing 10pm I made a move to head home, knowing I had training the next day and not wanting to keep Joe and Kat up much longer what with their little one.

“Oh Jess! Are these yours?” Kat asked, pointing the bouquet of flowers that were now in a vase on the kitchen counter.

“Yeah,” I said noncommittally.

“Take them with you!” she grinned, pulling them up and making sure they were back in their wrapping.

“Thanks,” I sighed. The flowers had gained most of their life back after being in water for a few hours. I’m not sure who put them in the water or when, but I suspected Joe was involved. He seemed to be playing matchmaker a little too much these days.

“See you tomorrow Joe!” I shouted through the house, wincing when I realized Stella had been put to bed already.

I walked down to the high street near Joe’s place and hailed a cab, climbing in with the flowers once again on my lap. I couldn’t help but smile at how much nicer they looked when they’d had a bit of water. It was like they’d come back to life just a little bit. Really they were a lovely gesture, I just couldn’t see past the intention behind them to truly enjoy it.

I stared out the window as the streets of London passed, my phone buzzing idly in my bag at one point. Dazed I pulled it out to see a text. From Aston.

[Why won’t you give me just one chance?]

PART FOURTEEN

“So you’re actually getting dressed up for this Gala thing?” Joe asked me as I stretched on the track, ready for another day in the office so to speak.

“I have to,” I said, “I can’t even remember the last time I had to get dressed up!”

“Do you even have anything to wear?” he asked.