 prelude.

00. little light of mine!

MATTHEW SIMMONS JOINED HIS wife and four youngest kids on the sidelines of a soccer field

MATTHEW SIMMONS JOINED HIS wife and four youngest kids on the sidelines of a soccer field. His eldest daughter had yet to notice that her father was home, instead her focus on the game, on the ball that fought to keep away from the other team as she headed straight for the goal. Seconds counted down on the large clock by the scoreboard. From the moment that Savannah launched the soccer ball to the moment that the ball hit the net, the families of her teammates had started cheering, even her teammates that sat on the bench.

The buzzer, that had signaled the end of the game, had gone off and Savannah looked to her step-mom with a grin. By her mother, stood her father and Savannah swore that her jaw dropped and her grin grew even better. Ignoring the giant team hug that her team had started, she took off into a sprint towards her father.

Matt had almost been knocked over by his teenager, but he stayed steady as he actually caught his daughter and held her in a tight hug. Nothing could top this moment between father and daughter.

"I told you I'd make home in time to see you score," Matthew whispered to his daughter, and she looked up and laughed. He smiled, "Now, go finish up with your team and we'll go out for dinner."

Savannah nodded, and jogged towards the other side of the field, but she stopped about half-way. She turned around and faced her family again with a grin. "Welcome home, dad." Then she sprinted towards her team.

Kristy looked towards her husband and shook her head. "She's such a daddy's girl."

Matt beamed at his wife, and shrugged nonchalantly. "Of course she is."

She rolled her eyes and scoffed. Despite the great relationship that Kristy and Savannah had, the teenager had always been a daddy's girl. Really ever since she had been placed into the custody of her father, but Kristy had seen it since the moment she met Savannah, when she was a young child. It wasn't hard for anyone to see.

It had only been a few minutes, but Savannah was making her way across the field with her personal soccer ball in her arms and her bag slung over her shoulders. By the time she had made it the side lines, Jake and David had taken off to meet their sister, asking if she would kick the ball with them. She had dropped her bag and ran with the boys towards the goal.

Matt and Kristy watched Savannah play with the boys, then glanced to the twins who played in the grass together. Then he glanced to wife and smiled before he kissed her. This was the life.

"Five kids," Matthew muttered, "But I wouldn't change this."

author speaks | hi, welcome back 🥺 Sav has been reborn since I started watching s15 and Matt is the sweetest dad ever