The Institue was quietly buzzing with life but the peace is disturbed when a wail cuts through the silence. All of the Shadowhunters in the vicinity clamp their hands over their ears to try and block out the piercing sound.

"What the hell was that?" Alec asks.

"Davina," 

That one word from Clary's lips sends the quartet sprinting towards the room of said redhead. The wail had stopped by the time they reach her room but Jace throws the door open to find Davina sleeping next to the now smashed mirror, blood seeping from her hands and the small cuts on her arms and face where she was lying in the shards. 

In blood on the mirror, V=M was written in what they assumed to be Davina's blood. Jace droops to his knees, gently picking Davina up out of the glass before rushing to the infirmary as the Lightwood siblings run in search of Hodge. 

"You don't remember anything?' Hodge asks as he picks the shards from her hands.

Davina shakes her head in response, watching as the man continues carefully hunting for shards of glass in her cuts. 

"I saw Valentine,"

Davina flinches when Hodge yanks on a shard of glass particularly harshly, clearly shocked by her words. 

"I watched him kill my mother," Davina says, a lump forming in her throat at the words. "It was awful. I- How did he manipulate so many people?"

"That was his speciality," Hodge says. "It was how he gained so many followers, people felt his passion and believed his cause but it was all a con"

"What was his real cause?"

"For all Downworlders to be eradicated," Hodge says. "Then Shadowhunters could rule the mundane world"

"That's insane," Davina says. "He wanted to commit genocide?"

"That was Valentine"

"This is her?"

The woman in front of Davina was stunning and bared a resemblance to Isabelle. But where Isabelle liked to flaunt her assets noticeably, this woman knew how to make herself the centre of attention in a simple formal dress. Both Isabelle and the woman were equally as beautiful but in such opposite ways.

"This is Davina, mom," Alec says. "Davina, this is our mother Maryse Lightwood"

"Yes, she will go with you and Jace to Seelie Court," Maryse says.

"What? Why?" Jace asks.

"She hasn't told you?" Maryse asks and tuts. "Davina here isn't a full Shadowhunter"

"That's not possible is it?"

"Oh it's entirely possible," Maryse says. "Jackson Branwell and the Seelie Queen had an affair, and the product of that affair is Davina"

Davina looks at Hodge and he shrugs.

"Can I have a word with Davina, alone?" Maryse says and everyone files out of the room.

"How do you know all of this?" Davina asks.

"While Jackson Branwell publicly denied having a bastard-born child," Maryse says. "He had to inform the Clave, since they like to find out about any interesting Shadowhunters. You were going to be brought to Idris and, much like Penelope, spend six months in Idris and six months with your mother. But one day there was an uprising in the Seelie Court, the Unseelie wanted a say even though they were exiled. Then the next thing the Clave knew, you were gone. The queen had given you away for your safety and we could never find out where. But now you're here and you could be a turning point in this war"

"I'm not a weapon you can put away whenever I'm not useful to you," Davina's voice was calm in a way that was more terrifying than if she would have shouted. "And you're all sorely mistaken if you think I'm foolish enough to let you use me that way. Let me tell you, I'll be an amazing ally to have when the war happens but if I'm your enemy, you should probably start planning your funeral arrangements now"

 Let me tell you, I'll be an amazing ally to have when the war happens but if I'm your enemy, you should probably start planning your funeral arrangements now"