Chapter 24: I'd Love To Change The World Pt.1

"Raven was here," Hank says bursting into Logan's room. "I screwed up."

"Shit," Logan mutters quickly getting to his feet. 

Hank and Logan go wake Charles and the three all go down to Cerebro to find it ruins wires and debris everywhere.

"We can't track her now," Hank says picking up the broken helmet.

"She's cut her ties," Charles replies as an idea pops into Hank's head.

"Hey, I saw on the news last night there's going to be an announcement in Washington this afternoon about a new protocol for mutants," Hank explains.

Logan and Charles then follow Hank back upstairs where he shows them his room filled with TVs and recording devices.

"I set the system I designed to record any news about Paris over all three networks, and PBS," Hank explains.

"All three? Wow." Logan replies in surprise having forgotten he was in the 70s.

"Yeah, and PBS," Hark replies. "Look what I found." 

Hank turns on one of the TVs showing a reporter standing in front of the white house.

"Tomorrow, in front of the White House, the President will make his announcement. He will be joined by Secretary of Defense Laird and has even sought the help of renowned scientist
Bolivar Trask his special advisor to combat this mutant issue." The reporter explains.

"Raven and Felicia don't realize that if they kill Trask at an event like that, with the whole world watching..." Charles trails off.

"Then I came a long way for nothing," Logan mutters.

"And there's more bad news. I saw in a report they found traces of their blood in Paris." Hank frets. "For all we know, they already have their DNA which is all they'd need-" 

"To create the Sentinels of the future." Logan interrupts.

"There's a theory in quantum physics that time is immutable. It's like a river. You can
throw a pebble into it and create a ripple, but the current always corrects itself." Hank explains. "No matter what you do, the river just keeps flowing in the same direction."

"What are you trying to say?" Logan asks.

"What I'm saying is... what if the war is inevitable? What if they're meant to kill Trask? What if this is just simply who they are?" Hank explains.

The room goes quiet for a moment all disheartened by Hanks words until Charles remembers what his future self told him the night before.

"Just because someone stumbles, loses their way... doesn't mean they're lost forever," Charles says before looking up at Hank. "No, I don't believe that theory, Hank. And I cannot believe that is who Felicia is. She saved Americans and Soviets alike all those years ago... She's a protector at heart." 

"Ready the plane. We're going to Washington." Charles orders 

~

Meanwhile in the future Warpath crouches on a roof using his powers to see if any sentinels or other unwanted visitors are nearby.

"There's 12 carriers inbound, 10 miles!" Warpath yells alerting the others of the incoming sentinels.

"They've found us." Professor X says as Logan still lies in the past.

Without saying a word Magneto turns and walks outside to help the others fight.

~