ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ

Start from the beginning

Humming quietly to myself, I quickly gather all of the books I brought up with me and head back inside to the warmth of my humble home. 

As soon as I take the first step down the long flight of wooden stairs, I notice there's something very odd lingering in the still air. What exactly the problem is I cannot tell. 

Wrinkling my nose at this, I just shrug away the eerie feeling and continue on. Once I reach the bottom of the staircase, I walk over to my wooden dining table which is a huge mess with all of my other novels and piles of research.

Ever since I came to this wonderful realm, I've recorded every bit of knowledge and information I could possibly find; the histories of each race; the different magical abilities one could inherit; the countless treasures hidden across the realm. Of course, there's much more to discover; this world has so many secrets and mysteries and I wish to uncover every single one of them. 

With the time my best friend and I had in our hands when we first came here to Britannia, I thought it was a great way to pass the time. And to also spend time with him.

"Hey (Y/n)!" a cheerful voice calls out to me suddenly and this causes me to drop all of my books on the floor. "Long time no see, huh?"

That lively voice—

"Meliodas?" I squeak in shock and quickly spin around. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Teeth flashing, emerald green eyes glowing, all I can seem to do is just stare dumbly at the face of my best friend. He leans against the table, grinning, and the group with him stays a couple of paces behind near the entrance of my hut, silently watching, clearly unsure what to do or say.

"Well, I kinda need your help," my oldest friend replies.

Trying to calm my overjoyed hearts, I sigh heavily and place a hand on my hip. "What did you do now?"

Everything within me is crying out for him, to hold him, to smile with him. I can feel my whole body slowly healing just at the sight of him. But right now, I am doing everything in my power not to embarrass myself by running over and hugging him like a needy child.

Meliodas blinks slowly at my question and then simply states, "I lost the fragment of the Coffin of Eternal Darkness."

"You did what?" I shout with all my admiration and respect immediately disappearing as my outraged voice rumbles across the hut, shaking everything within it, including Meliodas and all of his companions. "How the hell did you manage that?"

Meliodas scratches his head with a single finger, answering, "Well, I was injured at the time and I sort of lost control over my powers so I wasn't really concentrating."

"You fool," I hiss as I gather everything I had dropped on the floor and place it on the wooden table beside me with a loud slam. "You were meant to guard it with your life! You said you could do it, that was why I gave it to you for safekeeping!"

"Captain," one of his comrades', Fairy judging by the power emitting off him, says, "you still haven't actually told us what exactly we're doing here."

Meliodas jerks a thumb in my direction. "This is what we're here for."

Unbelievable, this little—