Chapter 43 - A Victory and a Break-in

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," Harry replied.

"The Dementors won't turn up again, Oliver. Dumbledore'd go ballistic," Fred stated confidently. "Besides, if they show up, Lady Black will dispose of them." He added, throwing an arm over the girl's shoulders.

"I could never leave, you and George, two damsels in distress, to fend for themselves," Betelgeuse responded with an arrogant smirk.

Fred and George pretended to swoon, "Oh, our valiant paladin Black —"

"— come to the rescue of us, unfortunate defenceless maidens!"

"SHUT UP you two! Betelgeuse, don't encourage them!" Wood cried out. "Anyway — good work, everyone. Let's get back to the tower — turn in early —"

Betelgeuse followed her team towards the changing rooms. All of them were chatting happily about the next day match and Harry's Firebolt.

"I'm telling you," Angelina began as the girls left for the castle, "with Harry's Firebolt, there is no chance we'll lose."

"Anything can happen," Katie pointed out.

"What do you foretell, Betelgeuse?" Angelina asked, turning to the grey-eyed witch.

"It may have escaped you, Johnson, but I prefer to stay clear from divinations."

Betelgeuse went down to breakfast the next morning with Angelina, Katie, and Alicia. She saw Potter enter the Great Hall with a flock of boys. "It appears they all believe the Firebolt deserves the guard of honour," The Black hauntingly commented, making the girls snicker.

Fred and George joined Betelgeuse at the Gryffindor table, "Morning Wood!" They shouted simultaneously, bursting into hysterical laughter. Betelgeuse arched an eyebrow, not understanding their inside joke.

Wood was shaking with fury, "EVERYDAY FOR THREE YEARS! IT'S STILL NOT FUNNY!"

Betelgeuse frowned, meeting the gleaming eyes of Fred.

Why are they

Her eyes widened with realisation, then she let out a pearl of laughter. "Morgana, why did I not notice before?"

"Because, my Bel, your mind was innocent," Fred replied, smirking. Betelgeuse gave the twins an annoyed glare as she heard Wood's treats of murders.

Before she could reply, Ron fell onto the seat next to his older brothers. "Did you see his face?" Ron shouted gleefully, looking back at the Slytherin table. "He can't believe it! This is brilliant!"

Wood, too, was basking in the reflected glory of the Firebolt, having forgotten the twins momentarily. "Put it here, Harry," he said, laying the broom in the middle of the table and carefully turning it so that its name faced upward. People from the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables were soon coming over to look. Betelgeuse recognised Cedric Diggory and Percy's Ravenclaw girlfriend, Penelope Clearwater, among the curious students.

Penelope Clearwater asked if she could actually hold the Firebolt.

"Now, now, Penny, no sabotage!" Percy heartily said as she examined the Firebolt closely. "Penelope and I have got a bet on," he told the team. "Ten Galleons on the outcome of the match!"

Penelope put the Firebolt down again, thanked Harry, and went back to her table.

"Harry, Betelgeuse — make sure you win," said Percy, in an urgent whisper. "I haven't got ten Galleons. Yes, I'm coming, Penny!" And he bustled off to join her in a piece of toast.