"i guess we have to tell the team then" you say aloud to which hotch just nods and follows you as you make your way to the conference room and hotch calls everyone there.

you already know that the tear stains and your ruined make up is noticeable, hence why everyone is looking at you as if you just got your heart broken. especially spencer. he so badly wants to hug you and comfort you, but he can't.

"take a seat everyone" hotch tells the team and you watch as they all sit, including him.

"uh- uhm... i've been out of it the past few days- actually the past couple of weeks. and i didn't think i'd have to explain why because i was so confident that i'd win. but i didn't..." you start off, wiping your sweaty palms on your pants as you had earlier.

***

"but he got out, just because he claimed self defence and cat was there to back it up" you finished telling the team everything you told hotch, some tears were shed, multiple gasps were heard when you said how you mother was killed. i guess they all though your life was squeaky clean.

"i-" emily begins before sighing out, "i don't know what to say" she finishes off as the rest of the team nods their heads in agreement.

"i'm not asking for pity or leeway, i just want you guys to help sort through some evidence and help me get enough or- or something to get him put away, for good" you plead to your team, seeing them all nod in agreement.

penelope stands up abruptly and pulls you into one of the most bone crushing hugs you've ever gotten. she smooths down your hair and rubs your back, pulling back and smiling softly at you.

"of course we'll help, you don't even need to ask" she tells you, and you see the rest of the team nod.

"let's get to work" hotch says.

***

"thank you anderson" you thank him as he hands you the last box full of evidence and case files from your dads case.

"alright, casey brown is our unsub, and lisa y/l/n is our victim" derek says as he sticks up the photos of the two people who raised you for a while, before everything went to hell.

you smile briefly at the photo of your mom, the most recent one before tragedy shot into your life.

"you look just like her" jj says as she places a hand on your shoulder and gives it a gentle squeeze.

"ok so the file reads that on thursday the 13th of november 2005 a distraught young girl called the 911 operator-" spencer begins reading before realising it was you who made the call to the police, you who had to see the most traumatising thing to try and save your moms life.

"y-you made the call?" derek asks as you look up and swipe your finger under your eye, wiping away the tears.

"yeah. i locked myself in my room when they were fighting, everything went quiet so i went and looked. i saw her lying there and my dad was gone, he just killed her and left" you explain to them.

"you are the bravest person i know and we're going to get him, even if it's the last thing we do" rossi tells you.

you give a grateful smile, so thankful for this family you have.

"buttercup did you know that cats mom died? cats two years younger than you and her mom died when she was 9, you were... 11?" garcia shares her newest discovery with the team. something you didn't even know.

"what? no- i got her file, it wasn't in there" your eyes widen quickly as you realise what you just said.

"you got her file?" hotch asks as he places a hand on his hip and looks at you, waiting for an explanation.

"i used garcia's computer to print it out. i didn't want you guys to know- it was bad enough that garcia got that avo for me!" you defend yourself, before looking over at emily as she laughs at your confession.

"naughty girl" she jokes around and soon a few other team members are laughing- even hotch has a smile on his face.

"so cats mom died a year before mine? what if casey killed cats mom and got away with it?" you speak your theories, your mind spinning with all these different possibilities.

"garcia can you access the files?" hotch asks.

"no, it's sealed. like government sealed. i can't open it, i'm sorry" she says, a frown taking over.

"i can get it" i tell them before walking out of the conference room and heading to my desk.

using my desk phone i dial my old fling from college who still keeps in contact every now and then.

"phil, it's y/n. i need a favour" you get straight to the point as soon as the answer tone rings out.

"y/n y/l/n, never one for greetings are you?" he jokes around, earning a small chuckle from you.

"i need a file on susan adams. she was killed in 2004, its- its uh for a case we're working. i think it's related but the file is sealed" you lie to him, raising your finger to your lips as your team joins you in front of your desk.

"i'll see what i can do. meet me at the plaza in an hour" with that he hangs up.

"i got it. i going to go get it, i'll be back in 2 hours tops" you tell the team before rushing over to the elevator and sprinting to your car.

you make a stop at your apartment to gather the letters your dad sent you over the time, hoping they may help somehow. you put them in your purse and grab a black blazer. just as you're about to call phil there's a knock on the door.

you rush and open the door, seeing cat there. without having enough time to even consider what she's doing here, she punches you in the face, shocking you, giving her the perfect advantage to kick you in the stomach, knocking you on the floor. as you're falling back you land on your entry way table sending glass vases flying and breaking everywhere.

coughs arise from the back of your throat as you try to move, stoping when cat hovers over you.

"you should've stayed away from the court case" she whispers before she stands and pulls a gas mask out of her pocket attached to a small tube filled liquid. she places the mask over your face, you're too weak to do anything, and soon enough... you're out.

***

"are the chains tight?" you hear a voice ask, it sounds so familiar you just don't know who it belongs to.

"as tight as they'll go" another familiar voice says.

"it's been a long time my sweet angel" he says sickeningly sweet as he stares at your dangling, weak body.

"casey" you croakily whisper out before you fall unconscious again.

_____________________________________
i hope y'all enjoy!

i'm back from the little break i took, thank you all for being patient with me and giving me support.