Chapter 12

"So?" My eyes open to the fresh morning air. He's leaned over my bed, sitting on the floor, with his head laying on the covers. My elbows prop up behind me. I'm trying to adjust to the early morning. A brow on my forehead sits a little higher than the other.

"What?" I ask, rubbing my eyes. I shift my feet under the covers noticing how warm comfort turns into a cool, satisfying crisp.

"Where did you go last night?" I tilt my head back, groaning a bit before releasing a breath and falling back into the bed. Then I remember it's the weekend. I feel at ease as the mattress devours my body into its memory foam. A certain nostalgia fills me. One I haven't felt in a long time. The peace of being in bed without having to stress or worry. "I want in."

My peace splits in two, running away from whatever fear, stress, or anxiety is forming in my soul. "What?" So far, this seems like the only word I'm able to say this morning.

"You want to leave this place. I want in." I'm sitting up now, fully attentive to his presence. His eyes dare to dive through mine, fearless and unafraid. His back is pressed up against the side of the bed with his arm sitting on his propped-up knee. My mind begins to spin and spit out thoughts, questions, and reasons for my answer before giving it to him.

"No," I say sternly. "If I let you in on this, the chances of me getting caught doubles."

He bites his lower lip, looks down, and smiles before knocking his gaze back up. "You might want to rethink your decision."

"Why?" I ask in a way that lures him to convince me.

He drops his other arm on top of the bed, barely touching my skin. "Think about it. I've been going here for quite some time and know this place better than anyone else." My brow shifts again. "And if you consider the costs of my knowledge versus my liability it outweighs the other by a milestone."

I think it over, refusing to break the eye contact I'm holding with him. I consider the options. I know there are risks in bringing him along. I don't even know anything about him. For all I know, he could be hiding a double personality, secretly reporting what happens here to someone else.

"I know this facility better than you do, so if you want a solid chance at leaving this place I'm your safest bet." My index finger lays across my lips as I take it all in.

"Alright, fine." The corners of his lips curve. "I'll let you in as long as you tell me everything you know." He lifts a brow waiting for something else as his smirk drops. A sense of dissatisfaction reaches me as he continues to stare. "And I'll tell you everything I know."

"Deal," he says. I get changed into the annoying tights and skirt uniform before slipping on my heels and walking towards the door. His eyes follow me. "Where are you going?"

I stop to lift my head without facing him. My hands hang at my side, still in the air. "I have some things to do."

"What happened to 'telling me everything' just a minute ago?" I turn my head slightly, gazing at the floor. My lips draw together slightly as he waits for my answer.

"I..." My voice drifts off, not knowing where I'm going with this.

"What happened to no more secrets, Forty-nine?"

My fingers twitch. "I'll meet you by the orchard at one." I step outside the door, thoughts racing, fingers moving, feet pacing, eyes focused straight ahead. My heels click against the floor as I head down to breakfast. My hands grab something small, making sure I've made my appearance for the day. Once I go to leave, my curiosity wants me to go downstairs. Reeling me toward the staircase. It isn't until I enter the strange office area that the events of last night crush my plans.