Chapter 24

I'm alone.

I'm alone, exploring the deepest corners of this manor, searching for something--I don't know what-- just something that will reveal all of Draco's inner thoughts, secrets.

Ever since we started dating, he never shares anything with me; his concerns or aspirations. He doesn't express himself like he used to, so I'm just left to the dark, wondering what went wrong. I f*cking miss our old selves.

He is a mystery to me, like a book where the words aren't simply written out. No, instead he is a book whose torn, shredded, and filled with indecipherable words; a book written in a cryptic dead language.

I've been living here for the past seven months and all we've been doing is snogging. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. This relationship shouldn't be solely on lust and aphrodisia; I want to learn more about him but, everytime I ask, he just pushes me away and distracts me with his prurient kisses.

Tiptoeing through the corridors, I hear music seeping through the cracks of a door, faintly playing a lovely melody. My fingers find their way to the handle, pushing the door just enough to let me inside, but not enough to distract the pianist.

He's sitting on the bench, fingers whirling across the keys as if it was a dance with the angels. The music is divine, a perfect tune for the heavens, heard more by the soul than the ears. He presses down, hands on both sides, head swaying with each note. A song that stirs wonders in my soul, that if I closed my eyes, it'd bring me to a parallel world. This must be the song he spoke so passionately about, his mother's song.

Silence. He stopped playing and took a deep breath; I opened my eyes to applaud the performance as the platinum-blonde hair jolted up, slamming the case down, before seeing who was behind him. "Brilliant, just brilliant!"

"What are you doing here, Angitia?"

"Well, I was walking around the manor when I heard you play. I guess something about the music lured me inside and now, I'm here," I hesitate. "Uh, the song was phenomenal; I really enjoyed it. "

"Yeah..."

"I've always wanted to learn."

His eyebrows raise, eyes squinting at me, as he jerks his head for me to come over, "I could teach you."

I rush over to sit down on the bench, twisting my head to get a better view of him as he gets up and strolls slowly away. The piano itself is all glossy, jet black just before Draco raises the covering from behind me. And then the series of pure ivory keys shifts into display. From the brilliant chandelier, they glisten as though they were stars on a dark canvas sky: vivid, majestic, and exquisite.

He doesn't sit down next to me, no, instead he places his large hands over mine, chin on my head, tracing our fingers simultaneously across the white keys. "This is C major--and this one is D minor..."

His voice is hazy; I'm not paying attention to anything he's saying, only the fact of how close he is, and the scent that comforted me on those long days. He positions my fingers, trying to teach me the basics; funny, how he doesn't realize that I'm a pro at piano.

"What I meant was, I wanted to learn your song", I say, interrupting his explanation. He sits down besides me and asks me, "Are you sure? Won't it be difficult for you?"

Flaunting my skills, I begin to play a piece by Stravinsky, 'Trois mouvements de Petrouchka', ensuring that I maintain a proper posture. After I finish, his face reveals his astonishment and admiration, scoffing at my abrupt confidence.

"Ok, fine", he devilishly smirks, setting his fingers on top of the keys. "Get ready to follow along."

His fingertips are spry as they float across the keys, first on white, then on ebony. Every now and then, the seamless gesture of his gallivanting fingers are interspersed with a quick tapping of a syncopated scale, a deft dance to the next note. His head sinks down to the keys, platinum hair brushing his porcelain skin.