Chapter 24

"One of these days, you're going to need to learn how to drive", chided Nika as they waited for Josh to pick them up to catch the train.

"I barely go anywhere, and Josh wants to show us his new car. He got a big check for the tour and put a down payment on a new Volvo. He sold the truck for two hundred dollars", said John.

A new gray Volvo station wagon pulled up in front of the house and Josh practically bounded out of the vehicle, a proud grin on his face. "You like it?", he asked happily.

"It's a nice car, and you better not litter it with soda cans and fast food wrappers", teased John.

"Hah, no way. And it has a real cigarette lighter and an ashtray, I'll show you", he said excitedly.

John chuckled at the younger man's enthusiasm as him and Nika got in the car. Josh plugged in a little coil into the socket and it popped up ten seconds later as he used the orange end to light up John's and then his cigarette. "When you're done, the cigarette goes in here", said Josh, pointing to a black can mounted on the dashboard.

"And it has a CD player and cassette deck", he added.

"Dad, you can get a car like this", said Nika.

John exhaled and tapped the ashes into the ashtray. "It's a waste since I don't drive", he reminded her.

Josh turned on the engine and inserted a CD as Pink Floyd came over the speakers. "Sweet, and it's the stuff with Syd", said John.

"Yeah, too bad he fried his brains on acid", said Josh.

"I wasn't crazy enough to touch that stuff", said John.

Nika sat in the backseat and was getting impatient hearing all these little hints about her father. She had an idea that she wasn't supposed to ask but it sounded as though he had done some seriously crazy stuff. From what she was able to glean, he had been very sick and had done some sort of drugs, but she wondered exactly what he had done.

Josh dropped them off at Union Station as John got their bags from the trunk. "Just call me the day you leave so I can pick you up", said the younger man.

"Okay", replied John as the men exchanged a hug.

Nika stood close by her father as they walked towards the platform for the train. The noise of the station with its trains and crowds and garbled announcements over the PA frightened her as she clung tightly to his hand. He gave her a kind smile and squeezed her hand as he led her towards the platform. The train stood on the platform as people waited to board and the porters loaded the bags.

"Don't worry, we'll see your grandparents soon", he said.

"I don't like the noise and the crowds", she whispered.

"If you go see a show, there's a lot of crowds and noise", said John.

John was saddened by the fear on her face, her big blue eyes wide in fright as she rapidly shook her head back and forth. "No, I don't want to go", she whimpered.

"You could watch the show from backstage with earplugs, Clara does. And there's fewer people backstage", he said.

Nika had a sinking sensation in the pit of her stomach. "I'll go, Dad", she whispered.

"Nika, you don't have to go if you don't want", he said.

"I won't get in trouble?", she asked.

John now knew he had to talk with her grandparents. "No, I won't force you to do stuff. You ought to know what's right or wrong for you", he said.