Chapter 22

"You look like you're about to faint from shock", teased John.

Josh blushed but his brown eyes glowed with excitement. "I know, but this is awesome. If I ever get my own house, it'll have more books than a library", he vowed.

John just chuckled as they looked around the Strand Bookstore. The huge used bookstore had shelves nearly up to the ceiling crammed with books, tables piled high with more books. Josh gaped and his mouth was open in delight and his knees were weak as he slowly made his way through the shelves of books. "Just text me when you're done", said John in understanding.

John chuckled when Josh made his way into the labyrinth of books. He knew Josh would buy a load of books and have to send them via UPS since it wouldn't fit in his luggage. He made his careful way through the medical section and then the neurology section, but the jargon and titles stymied him. "Excuse me, I'm looking for a book on autism", he asked one of the workers.

John nodded in thanks as the worker found several books on autism. He selected the ones on pediatric autism that didn't look too intimidating as he made his way through the books. He was going to look through one of the books and then schedule an appointment with a neurologist, hoping she could go to school. And he made a mental note to call her grandparents to see if she had gone to a neurologist.

In the end, John bought two of the books on autism along with a biography of Leonardo da Vinci and several more books on Buddhism. He had to laugh when he saw Josh precariously balancing a stack of books in his arms, nearly coming up to the top of his head. This was no mean feat as Josh was just a shade under six feet tall and wore his trademark beanie which added an inch to his height. "Lucky UPS is down the street", teased John.

"Yeah, my parents at least don't mind since it's not expensive or illegal", said Josh with a laugh.

The clerk behind the counter placed the books into two huge paper bags while John's purchases only took up one small bag. "Are you planning on building your own library?", John teased the younger man.

"Maybe, but I do read my books. I don't watch TV except for sports and I don't play video games, I haven't played video games since Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. I quit because I sucked so bad at them", said Josh with a rueful smile.

"I've never played video games, they're a huge waste of time. I'd tried to play PacMan and Donkey Kong at the arcade but they were a waste of time and quarters", said John.

The men walked over to the UPS office down the street. The clerk behind the counter raised an eyebrow when he saw all the books Josh wanted to mail but said nothing as he placed them in a box addressed to his parents' house. "At the rate you're going, you'll never be able to move out", said John.

"After I get my car, I'm going to see if I can get my own place. I know exactly how much I got in my account and I can see if I can get a load from the bank You can get a loan to finance a car", said Josh.

"Okay, I hardly go to the bank. I suck with a money, but I have good accountants", said John.

"I have to be good with my finances, I pay rent to my parents and a third of the groceries and utilities. My parents insisted on it", said Josh.

They went back to the hotel and John went straight to his room. It was before noon and he knew he had at least an hour before his nap as he took out one of the books on autism and began to read. He carefully read the chapter on Asperger's syndrome and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. The symptoms and signs described Nika very well and his hands shook as he turned the pages, feeling a mix of sorrow and amazement. The idea that of his daughter having such a one-sided brain saddened him, and her mother's upbringing didn't help. He needed to see if they had taken her to a neurologist and if they had an idea of her condition.

"Wow, so you think Nika has some sort of autism? She's super smart, but that sort of knowledge isn't appropriate for a kid, and she doesn't have social skills either. You should take her to a doctor", said Flea.

John nodded as he took a sip of his tea. "I was shocked, the only autistic kids I knew in school were the spastics in the basement class. She's super smart, but it's like half of her mind is missing. I don't want her to have a lonely life, I want her to have friends and eventually date and be a normal, happy girl", he said with a sigh.

"We all want our kids to be happy and normal, John. I want Clara to be happy, all parents want that. But I suppose if she's quiet and does the work, she could do good in school", said Flea.

"Yeah, I was a quiet kid too. As long as she can go to school, and she can do the work and control herself, she can do well", said John.

John sighed as he drank his tea. He hoped that Nika could handle school, since he couldn't homeschool. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I was just upset when I read the book and the chapter on Asperger's. And next week we got that interview with Spin, they're going to see Nika. Later I'll call her and explain", he said.

"Yeah, we got two weeks before we start the European festival circuit. I'll take her on a tour of the school and talk to her grandparents", said John.

"Of course, same with Clara. Clara gets a kick out of the interviews, just tell Nika so she'll be prepared", said Flea.

John did the soundcheck with a renewed energy, looking forward to seeing his daughter again. The band's management had already sent out a press release explaining the situation and asking for privacy, so the Spin article was gong to be the first press piece which mentioned his daughter. He wondered if he could establish ground rules with the reporter first and if Nika would be upset. John remembered how much he hated doing interviews back in the day, but he had been an immature kid.

The soundcheck ended as he handed his guitar to the tech and took out his phone. "Hi, Dad. How is New York?", asked Nika.

"We're fine, we've just finished soundcheck. Nika, next week people from Spin magazine are going to the house to do an interview. I just want you to be prepared", he said.

"What's that?", she asked.

"It's a music magazine, they're going to do a feature on the band", he explained.

"Okay, but are they going to interview me?", she asked, fright in her voice.

"No, just me. They might mention you, but you don't have to talk to them. In this line of work, there's a lot of interviews", said John ruefully.

"Okay. Then I won't be in the way", said Nika.

"Don't put it that way, Nika. You can listen if you want", said John.

"Maybe, I don't want to make you look bad", said Nika.

"Nika, you won't make me look bad", he exclaimed.

"Adults don't like kids being in the way", she replied.

"You're not going to be in the way. How about we visit your grandparents in Palm Springs after we drop off Grandma and Grandpa at the airport?", he suggested.

"Okay, when is your interview?", she asked.

"The interview is in five days, after that we can go to Palm Springs", he replied.

"That sounds good. Have a nice show", she said.

"I hope we have a better than nice show, Nika. I'll talk to you later", said John.

"All right, good night", said Nika.

John hung up the phone and frowned. Now that he was reading about Asperger's syndrome, her flat, monotone conversation made sense. At first, he thought that she had been numb from her mother's death, but it has just how she communicated. She did show emotion when she was angry and when talking about something she enjoyed, but hoped she would come out of her shell more. John thought about how he ought to perhaps go to his local Buddhist temple and make an offering, to give him patience in dealing with his daughter.