.

.

.

.

.

[FLASHBACK]

About a month ago while she was having breakfast with her parents...

"It's been more than three years, Anak [child]. Don't you think it is time to make some changes in your life? We are not suggesting anything drastic. Pero anak [But, my child], do you really want to spend the rest of your life with us? Bata ka pa. Malayo pa ang mararating mo. Marami ka pang magagawa." [You're still young. There a more places to see. You can still do a lot of things]. The words came from her mother. The dialogue initially started with "It's been a year...". Later it evolved to "It's been two years..."

Mika looked at her father, wanting to know how he felt.

"Tama ang mommy mo, anak" [Your mother is right, child], he said gently, his eyes full of concern. "I... We both feel it would be a good idea for you to leave home. To leave Baguio, in fact. There are too many memories here... painful ones... and it is not helping you to... well as your mother says, it's been more than three years since iniwan tayo ni Kiefer [It has been 3 years since Kiefer left us] and you're still not..."

"Over it", Mika finished her father's sentence in a hushed voice.

How many years would it take to get over a death of a husband? Would she ever move on from it? Would she ever adjust to a life without Kiefer? Would she ever become that happy, smiling girl she used to be?

No! Never! The change which has taken place in her life three years ago was irreversible... The change in her irrevocable. But she could not say no to her parents. She does not have the heart to let them keep worrying about her.

A few days after that pep-talk, she had seen a job opening at the head office advertised in Galang and Galang's company newsletter. She inquired and passed her application for it mainly because it would please her parents. Their concern for her, however unfounded, had made her worry for them.

She had always got on well with her parents. There is no question they love her dearly. After Kiefer's death, they had given her unfaltering support. But they clearly feel that it was now time for her to stand on her own. That after three years of hibernation (She would just leave the house to go to work or attend the Sunday mass) she is emotionally ready to live again.

[FLASHBACK ENDS]

.

.

.

.

.

What sort of state was she in emotionally? Stable. Very stable. There was very little that could stir her emotions. Whether she stays in Baguio or in Manila would not make much difference to her. Her routine would not change. She was happy and contented with it, as is. Manila is not that far from Baguio. She can go home on week-ends if she wants to.

Of course, there is no assurance that she would get this job. Having three years of experience as secretary to the manager of the regional sales office did not necessarily mean she was suitable for a high-powered position as secretary to the Sales Director. It was in these offices where international dealings were conducted. She is not sure how much of her experience at the regional office would benefit her here.

She looked around the office.

"This seems like a nice place to work... accessible, airy office, top-of-the-line latest equipment. I imagine..."