CHAPTER 24: Waves

Start from the beginning

The girl who asked for your leftovers quickly took notice of the little bits of porridge sitting at the bottom part of your bowl, and her brown eyes lit up. Without a second thought, you walked over to her table and handed to her the bowl while ignoring the stares of the others sitting there.

She was ecstatic as she quickly thanked you and took the hot food from your hands. A small smile appeared on your face, but your eyes involuntarily flickered to Eren.

He met your gaze once more, and the two of you remained like that for a few seconds before you cleared your throat and looked back at everyone else.

"So..." you began, well aware that everyone at the table had their wide eyes on you. "You guys are Squad Levi, is that correct?"

"That's right," the sandy-haired boy replied.

The buzzcut boy kicked the food girl in the shins under the table when he realized that she hadn't been listening to you while she was busy eating, and she let out a sound of protest through a large mouthful of porridge.

You didn't mind. Let the girl eat.

"Is there something wrong?" the sandy-haired boy asked, bringing your attention to the full group once again. "Need some help with something?"

"No," you replied. "But thanks."

"Sooo, what's going on?" asked the buzzcut boy. "Was it some kind of order?"

"Commander Hange said that I'm assigned to show you the Marleyan technology later," you explained, averting your gaze from Eren's stare. "We'll be meeting up with Yelena and Onyankopon. Um, I don't know if Eren Jaeger is allowed to go with us."

"Probably not, because I have some business elsewhere," Eren answered, still looking at you. "And Captain Levi forbade me to spend too much time with the Anti-Marleyan Volunteers."

The question flew out of your mouth before you could stop it. "Does that include me?"

Everyone stared at you for a few moments.

To them, it was quite perplexing. The implication that you were a part of the Anti-Marley Volunteers, and the implication that you didn't like the idea of Captain Levi forbidding Eren from spending time with you.

What, did they think you had a crush on him or something?

Eren gazed at you still. "No, I don't think so."

You blinked at him a few times, gathering your composure. "Good."

"What would Yelena and Onyankopon like to show us, anyway?" questioned sandy-hair, looking interested. "Is it like a little school lesson?"

"They want to show you guys their plans for this island," you answered coolly. "How they're gonna help develop it and stuff. And... I'm supposed to show all of you guys how a few of these new inventions work as well, without Yelena and Onyankopon's help."

"Is this why you gave me these books?" asked Armin, eyes sparkling. "These drawings are exquisite. I never got to thank you for them."

"You're welcome, Armin," you said a little quickly, relieved to be talking to a somewhat familiar face. "It was my pleasure."

"I do understand if you just gave them to me because Hange assigned you to show us all this stuff, though," he added. "In case you're worrying about that."

"Well, yes, but—"

You paused to think about it for a second, tilting your head to the side.

"I gave them to you because we're friends, Armin."