Expect the Unexpected

Start from the beginning

Octavia: You've... gotten better,... Azgeda spy.

Echo: Why do I have the feeling... you think that's... unbelievable, Bloodreina?

We still sat underneath the shade, and cheered as Octavia was claimed the victor. Indra was trying to hide her smile as she shook hands with her second, while Gaia took a rake and began to make the arena level again. We watched as Lexa and Madi took their places in the arena.

Raven: (gasps in surprise) Madi, don't do it. She's going to kill you. 

Madi: (chuckles) I'll be fine, Raven. 

Raven: (looks towards Clarke) It's been a month, Lexa basically has all her strength back.

Clarke: Are you blaming that fact alone for why you lost?

Raven: (yells a bit offended) No! (Then calms) I'm just worried, that's all.

I shook my head and returned my attention to the battle that was about to commence, chuckling quietly. It was true that Lexa had been awake for a full month, and to me that was still unbelievable, I am half expecting her to disappear the next time I wake up. Yet, everyday I'm relieved to find that this life isn't a dream or some alternative reality; there are many things that I regret, many things that I wish wouldn't haunt my very dreams and wakes, and many thoughts of guilt for the lives that were lost and yet I stand here. I am alive, and so is my family. There used to be a time when I couldn't see the future clearly, a time when the outcomes of battles wavered to the opponents. Now, I can laugh without worries, and I can draw without having to constantly look over my shoulder. I no longer live in fear.

I watched Madi slowly recover from a blow she took to her side, and Lexa ready to dodge. Octavia, Indra, and Gaia were observing the fight, while Echo stood next to Niylah getting her injuries checked out. Hope and Jordan were out somewhere, using their time to finally grow up like normal kids. Jackson and Miller were in a conversation under the willow trees near the stream, and Levitt was relaxing at camp. Murphy and Emori had gotten married right after Lexa had woken up, and they shone brighter then anyone I have ever seen. The last survivor was Raven, and she had become like a sister to me over the past few months. These people had become a part of my family, whether that be brother, sister, lover, or child. I trust them with everything because they don't see me as Wanheda, Criminal, or Commander of death. They don't see me as this shinny beacon of hope that has an answer to every problem. To them I am human; an imperfect person who makes mistakes, an individual who learns and creates. And for that, I am grateful. 

I finally learned how to love again, and smile without malicious intent. 

I learned how to live freely, without worry and fear.

I am Clarke Griffin, daughter of Abby and Jake Griffin, mother of Madi Griffin, lover of Lexa Kom Triku, and family to everyone else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ 10 years later ~

Raven: How many plates do we need? (shuffles in the kitchen)

Clarke: 25, I believe.

We scampered around the kitchen, collecting pots and pans to prepare for dinner. Raven was in charge of setting the table, while I was in charge of the actual cooking and handling. After a while I noticed Raven's nervousness and confronted her about it.